Sixteen

Ian told me to wait outside on the beach. I sat there on the sand, the moon was high in the sky and the ocean breeze was just right. I would be focusing on that, but I'm pretty scared. Ian didn't tell me anything, all he said was to wait outside and then hurried away. It looked like Olivia knew something too, but she wouldn't say shit.

I'm scared out of my mind. I'm 99% percent sure Ian is planning on getting me to confess to Shayne. I bet he's trying to get Shayne to either tell him how he feels or get him out here to talk to me alone.

I looked back to the hotel and didn't see anyone. I've been out here for 5 minutes, and I'm worried as to why it has taken him this long to do what he wanted to do.

I'm not even sure what I want from Shayne. Do I want to be in a relationship with him? Or do I just want to stay friends? It's hard. I never thought I'd be in this situation, but here I am.

"Alright, alright," I heard Shayne's voice from behind me. I looked back to see him and Ian talking. After a second, he made his way towards me and sat next to me. "Do you have any idea why Ian is acting weird?"

"Uh, no. Why do you think he's acting weird?" I asked.

"He seemed really persistent about getting me out here. Like it was something important. He also seemed really giddy"

"Don't know," I said nervously, "Since you're out here though....there's something I should tell you"

I looked back to see both Ian and Olivia crouched behind a bush. They're observing this whole thing.

"Okay, what's up?"

"Oh, god. Listen, what I have to say might sound, I don't know, a little strange. I...uh..shoot, how do I say this? Shayne...I...um"

I looked at him, he's looking at me confused. I've just got to come out and say it.

"Shayne! The thing is I....I really like you!"

"Well, I mean I like you too, Court, but I thought that was pretty-"

"No, Shayne. I LIKE you"

"Oh. You-"

He took a second and looked out onto the ocean. I can't tell what he's thinking. I'm not a mind reader, but at times like these I wish I was.

"I know you're weirded out. I just thought I had to tell you because, you know, we're friends and I didn't want to keep this a secret from you"

"I'm not sure how to respond to that, Court. I mean, do you...did you want to-"

"No, I mean, maybe. I really don't know what to do. I mean, we've been best friends for a while now and I just....I don't know"

"Neither do I"

"This isn't going to ruin anything between us, is it?"

"Huh? Oh, no of course not! Not at all. It's just going to be a bit of a...difference, you know?"

"Yeah"

"I'm gonna go back inside. I'm pretty tired from all that board game playing. Damien really kicked our asses at Monopoly. Well, goodnight, Court"

"Goodnight"

I watched as he walked away and into the building. Something deep inside of me was really hoping he would feel the same. I hoped that maybe...just maybe, we'd get together tonight. I figured he didn't feel the same.

That's how I spent half an hour on the beach alone. Crying.