Chapter Fifteen

Ara sat beside the fire, it happened once a week, he had been there for months now, he was a different man. No, he was a male his birthday had passed and he came of age to inherit his father's gift or his mother's he did not know. Nova told him the blood that flowed through his veins is Dragon blood. He could shift, and Nova told him he would one day find his mate. He did not believe in it. Ara lived with the people of this forest long enough to learn....to learn what it meant to love and he knew, he knew that he loved Ryla and it did not matter what she was, or how cold she seemed to be, he loved her. It took him months to learn there was a difference between thankfulness and love.

"Could you know your mate before you come of age and not know?"

"Yes, but the chances are unlikely"

Love. something Orphans like him did not deserve.

Or so he thought.

He remembers the day he turned of age, the summer solstice. He felt it flood his veins, it was fire and glory and justice long overdue, he felt the bond form, made of magic and of blood and of destiny twining two souls. His magic surged and surged down that newly made bond and screamed its defiance to the stars, he would not allow it to disappear.

Nova stalks around the corner, heading to the fire, its a tradition for the forests inhabitants to gather around a time of remembering and bonding. Nova passes many while she heads towards Ara as he plays his guitar, an instrument he had only recently learned to play. He had only recently learned a lot of things, how to feel, how to fight like a true battle honed warrior, his whole life had been a battle so his mind had been honed but his body did not reach the standard of these glorious people. Nova knew something that he did not, she knew his father, he was one of Soren's closest friends and he was the last living Dragon. His spirit still visited this realm from time to time. Lucien, sat on one of his sides as Alistair sat a few feet away, their reunion had come with tears, tears that could only come because of war. Lucien and Ara, two males only a few years apart.

Nova sat beside Ara as he once again began his tribute....... To remember her.

Warrior of gold struggling to hold as she wandered on her way

Wounded she lay as she opened a way for them to burn

Soon they would learn it was time to turn

She gave it her heart for a new start

Soon so very soon would she lay it to rest returning to the mess

Sorrow would burn and motionless would she turn awe hiding her face

A hero and a Queen one who pounded to the beat victory left in her wake

A love so bright it would strain tight and delve deep within that lake

A kingdom to make and life to take

Soon so very soon

Nova sat and she listened as he shared his story,

Nova distinctly heard screaming so she jumped out of her bed and as fast as the wind she slammed into Aras cave to see him thrashing around a nightmare awakening his magic fire spreading around the cave walls hissing. Using her magic, Nova walks forward and leans down speaking into his mind she says

"Ryla, Ryla, RYLA" and his heart reacts before his body can. His magic dissipates, confirming what Nova had already known. Ryla is his mate. Ara wakes up his eyes wide and jolting forward he throws up.

"How long"

Meeting her eyes, "As long as I can remember" he looks away when the fire in her gaze becomes too much.