Chapter Three

Lucian barges into the room his father told him Ryla would be staying in. What his eyes see his mind was not prepared for the 'Demon of Cetrica' was meditating. He has heard legends about her. She is so much younger than he imagined, twenty and considered now royal protector. The ruthlessness in her challenges are known throughout the entire kingdom. A young woman who is built for war is a surprise to all.
"Ryla it is time for my training I have been informed that I cannot leave this hallway without you" her eyes snap open flashing from gold to blue quickly and the Prince misses it, she stands to her feet silently and nods at the boy
They travel down the hallway when the young boy takes a right leading directly away from the training grounds
"Where do you think you are going"
"You are not here to question you are here to follow me and guard me without question" She grabs his arm tugging him back the correct way.
"Let me go this is treason against the crown I order you as your prince to release me"
"I am under strict orders from the king, you are not my master boy, I will never take orders from you" she lifts his struggling form into her arms and powerfully strides towards the training field. She breathes in, it has been a long time since she had lost her temper. As soon as they arrive she makes eye contact with Aegis and a grin spreads across his face. She looks down at an embarrassed Lucian and drops him on to the floor. The thud along with a small yelp draws everyone's attention
"Aegis of Catra your student is here for training"
Lucian's mind is sent into overdrive
His thoughts come fast
Wasn't she raised in a home with a beautiful mother and a strong Knight father a family with admiration for the throne?
Isn't her lineage strong?
He starts to struggle but even with his little training he can't loosen her grip at all he looks up to see an emotionless face and a sturdy set jaw
And he is thrown out of his thoughts as he hits the ground.
"Well hello Ryla, might I ask if you are free for dinner tonight?"

" I must reject your offer I have no time for such dabbles" a scowl travels across his face as she walks over and settles herself by a tree one of many that riddles the training field that spreads across the back of the castle filled with many young men that will soon begin training to become pages. Aegis isn't used to being rejected, he'll soon come to know it takes something he can not give to win the emotionless maiden's heart.

Over the next year Lucian becomes acquainted with Ryla's ways and he hates it. He no longer can act as he wants, the only time he was able to have some type of freedom was when she was sent off for special missions by the king. Never in his life has anyone stopped him from getting what he wants. Her strength is admired and he has come to recognize the traits of a being hardened by life and strengthened by war and it scares him. It scares him because this could be his future, as future king, whether Odessa's true heir appears or not as his grandmother had predicted he would be king, he would kill for that throne.

Young Lucian is yet to know what it truly means to rule, he doesn't know what sacrifices it entails what darkness it brings, his day will come but it will not be a pleasant one.

One more year later Ryla at the age of twenty one finally hits the age of adulthood in Odessa.
Ryla and Lucian are on a walk in the woods, one of Lucian's training exercises when suddenly they are struck from behind knocking them both out as she falls forward something magical happens. Her eyes change to a deep golden. Magic leaks from her being and wraps around Lucian and the bright golden of the magic shows the attacker just who he has messed with, magic is a persons signature, the color and other simple traits can show the lineage of the person and this magic that was now connected to every aspect of her being gave her a chance, the fates could not have controlled time, her coming of age could not have been avoided but it did come at the right time this golden miracle might have saved Odessa's future. Before Lucien's eyes close he gets a small glimpse of those golden eyes, of that golden magic and those pointed ears, and he almost gets it he just doesn't recognize the eyes of legend in such a troubling time.