Chapter 7: You Can't Unring a Bell

"I've been reading philosophy books all my life, I find philosophers extremely interesting how they wanted to have answers for our behavior," She sounded passionate.

"Do you want to be a philosopher?" He asked confused.

She smiled, " No, I don't want to be in a robe telling everyone my theories and thinking, I'm not that bright. I want to study and teach it."

"C'mon, a doctor in philosophy and your parents don't approve that?"

"That's what I'm saying," she answered, she put a strand of her behind her ear, "It fills my world to learn about their theories, and their explanations, one of my favourites is Wittgenstein, he talks about pain how we adapt to pain, some withstand better than others, for example I couldn't play more that twenty minutes  the violin, but you!"

"What?"

"You wouldn't stop if you fingers bled, would you? And you do it so swiftly. I guess I never told you that you played fantastically... that day at the club."

He stood up, "Thank you," he said.

Ella felt that maybe he had to leave, but something in her didn't want to, so he offered him a cup of tea, and gladly for her he agreed, they went to sit by the kitchen table.

"And how does it feel to be rich?" He asked with mockery, but also curiosity.

"I wouldn't know, I mean we lived in the Marroco family house, an old castle-like house back in Chile; but my father is very strict about our finances, I don't own any of the money if that was your question, zero power over it." She shrugged.

Paul took the cup of tea, and cautiously took a sip, "I don't get it, aren't you old enough to decide what to do with your money."

"I told you, it's not mine," she was quite embarrassed for what she was about to confess, she tapped her fingers on her cup, "we have a contract, I'll never receive more than my allowance, unless I do what they command; that's why they sent me here...they want me to see what it feels to be on my own, to stop being part of the Marroco family."

"Fools! You're not alone, you have us." He winked at her.

"Thank you, I do feel so much better here... but I don't want them to find out about it, if they do they'll send me to another place probably." She worried.

He was about to say then I'll look for you, don't worry, but he stopped, he knew that could send the wrong message, and it could offend her, he didn't want her to think (and know) that he was flirting again.

Ella remembered some biscuits that where in the cupboard, and offered some to Paul , who was now engaged in telling her about one member of his family who thought it so wrong that his father let him pursue the music career. He continued to tell her about his time in Hamburg, he obviously decided to omit talking about any girl he had gone out with.

John arrived, with a kiss marked on his cheek, "Paul! You're still here."

"He's waiting for his payment, John."

"But the first class was free." He crossed his arms.

"Hey! That's not true I already paid-," she said and quickly John covered her mouth.

"Fine, we'll divide it then," he said and sat next to his friend.

She gave him a suspicious look, and then said goodbye to them , she decided to leave them to talk alone.

As she left the kitchen, Paul asked his friend, " What happened? Did you find the ghost in Cynthia's house?" He gave him napkins and pointed the red lipstick kiss mark.