Ch 34 Opportunity is Missed When it looks like Work

The last song wasn't as good as the first one either, not even better than the second one. Still, the producer, and all the others, came into the studio with the boys and announced that if they were ready, they could sign them that afternoon. "we'll have a lawyer present, he's supposed to arrive at 3 pm." He smiled.

Paul noticed Jeremy going back to the cabin where Ella was, he had to follow him.

She was pensive, with her arms crossed, Ella was certain that they did that on purpose.

The door opened, "You told them? About our deal?" With a tight expression in his face, he shouted.

Without turning to face him, she answered, "No, they are clever they found out."

He grabbed her by the shoulder, making her face him, that's when Paul stormed into the room.

She didn't say a word, simply mouthed the word stop, he stood by the door.

Jeremy did noticed who had followed and instructed, "Stay out of this Pete," he said pretending to get his name wrong. Somehow some people tend to think that to be a power move; "You think this will be it, Ella? If you don't give me those papers, I'll make fucking sure that not a single label would want to sign The Beatles,"

Paul contemplated his threat for a moment, he went closer to Ella, he grabbed her hand, "he's bluffing,"

After Jeremy's sarcastic scoff, she looked at Paul quick, "he's not, he is quite determined." She wasn't scared, now she was tired. She gave him the papers, which Paul tried to stop.

Jeremy made sure they were signed, there was only one that wasn't signed and it was crossed, she had done that just after she saw him re-enter the cabin.

"You can have everything that I've got, I don't care anymore; the thing is I won't work for you, nor will I have to have a contract that tells me so." With cold eyes she proceeded, before he could protest, "Let me just have this thing, I'll have nothing else, please, I know you can't be this cruel."

He scorned, "Our parents wanted me to add that part, and I agree with them, you don't know anything, you'll need a job, I'll make them retype it and you'll sign this today."

She looked directly into his eyes, "No,"

Jeremy turned to look at Paul, thinking he'd agree with him on how foolish Ella was acting, and her reckless action, "you won't stand a chance, where will you get money Ella?!"

"Not everyone has the fortune to have everything handed to us, some of has have to work for it, you should learn that— money is not eternal." She told him with a fevered stare.

Her step-brother tossed the page to the rubbish bin, and went out.

Paul quickly stood in front of her, and grabbing her face with his two hands, asked "is that... was that legal?"

She wouldn't look at him, or she'd start to cry, bitting her inner cheeks she nodded, "I thought he wasn't going to let me have... just that win, but he did."

An angry expression appeared in Paul's face, "have it? Your future?, and freedom! He wasn't entitled to it, and he didn't do it out the goodness of his heart," he scolded.

She sighed, "That I know,"

"What about your mother's possessions?"

Ella touched his face in a sweet manner, "I did give most of it away, but I get to keep the most valuable one, a future without them , not being in my father's scheme and constant contempt as she suffered."

A knock on the glass made her step back, she hadn't realised how close she was to Paul; it was John, telling them to go with them.

"I'm going to John's house, I need some time alone." She told him,

He embraced her so tight, she could feel the heartbeat of his, she simply patted his back so she wouldn't have to hug him, no matter how much she wanted that. He let her go.

Ella didn't even notice how much she had slept, when she woke up the next day, Mimi was preparing breakfast,

"Morning," she smiled at her and offered her a cuppa, "John went to check on you this morning, he was afraid you were dead," Mimi giggled,

"Sorry," she smiled, "I guess I needed to sleep; did John tell you anything? About yesterday?"

Drinking from her mug, she asked her "what about?"

"No, maybe nothing. I have some news," she looked at her fondly, "After all, I'm going to have to go for a while, to New York, with my aunt "

"Oh dear! That's good isn't it?" She hugged her, "how much time since you last saw her?"

"I wasn't even a teen," she sighed, "but sadly, I'm going to be bothering you in the future with my visits."

"You better! Or I'll have to get a passport just to visit you," she encouragingly grabbed her hand.

Later that day she told John, that after their "audition" she had rang her aunt to ask her for advice, and she had invited her for a while to go live with her.

"Finally! I was wondering when were you leaving ," he said in a bittersweet tone.

Smiling to herself, "Sorry it took this long, I still want to ask you to visit me,"

"Depends," with a playful grin he said, "if you have good-looking friends, I might pay you a visit." He bumped her cheek, "speaking of good-looking, when will you tell Paul?"

She hunched her shoulders, and admitted, "probably the day before I go, or something."

"You can' t be for real Ella," he said between a disgusted snort, "he's going to get upset, y'know that's exactly what Cleo did to him, before going to France," he scolded with a tight jaw.

Her cheeks began to burn, "I'm not telling him goodbye for ever, I hope so,"

"Whatever you say," he took a cigarette and lit it.

"You haven't told me what happened? Did they sign you in?"

He narrowed his eyes but decided to tell her, "They wanted, but the contract was shit, 10 years and we have to appear as special guests in one of their artists concerts,"

Ashamed she asked, "It's my fault,"

"It's not, the contract had the date of the previous week, and the producer has no idea what music is; George overheard that there was a singer lending her voice to another one, because the other bird is fit and pretty, but can't sing, " he had a thoughtful expression, "we'll be fine, you'll see."

hey! what do you think it'll happen next... ♡◕‿↼)