Chapter 17: You'll Have to Face the Music

"He's John's friend, Paul... Paul this is my stepbrother Jeremy." she corrected and introduced them.

After taking a look at him, he continued, "And? Where were you? I travel half the world and you're not were you're supposed to be."

"Calm down prison guard."John said not looking at any of them, he was tired of talking to his cousin, he moved on checking the bike's breaks.

"I was at an art exposition, seeing if there's anything interesting for me." great save.

After the lie he turned to see her, and decided to believe her, "Good,"

"When did you arrive?" Her voice was quieter than usual, and Paul noticed.

"Two hours ago, I rented a car," he pointed at a black Cortina car, "and before I got the hotel I decided to visit you, but I only found John here." He explained.

"Unfortunately," John said, and rang the bell from the old bike.

"How was your trip?"

"Awful! And I haven't eaten anything today, you should be offering something by now." He crossed his arms.

She looked down and apolgised, "Would a tomato sandwich do?" She started to walk towards the house entrance.

Her brother only shrugged and added, "don't forget the butter on it, also a glass of juice, do you need more instructions?" He mocked, but he was the only one that laughed.

She shook her head and entered.

"She has lost all her manners, bet you're the one to blame," Jeremy said to John, while putting a hand on his shoulder and shaking him.

He only rolled his eyes.

"I'm gonna use your loo John," Paul said pointing to the house, and left.

He found Ella cutting a tomato, on the table, she seemed to be muttering something but stopped when she saw Paul enter the kitchen, "are you ok?"

"Me? Yes.. what about you? Never thought of you as a passive servant," he took the knife from her hands and helped her.

She went to fill a glass with juice, "I'm not, I have to be."

Paul took the loaf of bread and cut two pieces, "What I saw is as if he commands you, I was expecting him to snap his fingers at you."

She took the slices and buttered them and adding mayo, "If he finds out I have a job and that I'm studying philosophy, he'll know there's something fishy."

"and?"

She put her elbows on the table and covered her face with her hands, "There is something fishy, I have a plan, he must know I've been talking to an aunt about moving, my aunt who is in America and intends to help me, to be independent... the thing is I basically have a job contract with my family, it can make my life difficult if I don't play along."