Chapter 3: If I Walk By You

"Do you want me to walk you home?" he asked randomly

"I - I- that'd be nice," just as she said that, she saw Lucas walking towards her with the old woman by his arm, "but I...I don't know."

"Lucas seemed to have found another girl," he said closely to her ear, making her smile, "I understand, don't worry, some other day."

Next day, Ella with Lizzie, and along John and Cynthia, went for a walk in the city, there was an antique market event, where in a plaza they sold different cheap used items, Ella and Lizzie walked ahead of the young couple, leaving space for them to walk alone and have some private couple chatting.

"John seems very much in love... but do you know who else is in love?" Lizzie asked elbowing Ella's arm.

The girl was so lively, it made her giggle, "Who?"

"My brother.. he said to mother that you were the loveliest bird he has ever dated,"

"Oh..." She said with a note of stressed, as she slowed the pace of her walking.

"Oh indeed! I wouldn't want someone like my brother saying stuff like that about me," she responded, and seeing her friend not being offended she continued, "he's so full of himself... when he says stuff like that it's because he found a challenge... I wouldn't blame you if you keep your distance."

Ella didn't want to say something rude about him, so she kept her silence.

"This is a Wurlitzer piano... and this cheap!" They heard John say, "dammit I only have half of it."

"I told you to save the money your family sent for a rainy day, you could have bought it." Cynthia reproached.

Suddenly, as Ella watched John look longingly at the piano, an idea occurred to her, "I'll buy it...and you'll teach me some lessons, and we'll tell my father to pay for all that, he'll know I'm doing something he'd wished for."

John looked at her doubtfully.

"Please, he's going to call today, I knooow he wants to hear from me that I'm doing something productive and something he approves; that's the only way he'd stop calling and sending those awful letters."

"What letters?" He asked.

"It doesn't matter, so what do you say?"

"Say yes, dear," Cyn encouraged him with a simle, "although I fear for Ella, having you as the patient teacher."

He still looked at them doubtfully, he took some pennies from his pocket and gave it to Ella, "Ok.. ok, deal! Go call Pete and tell him we need his van."

George arrived at Paul's house the following day; he took the food Mr. McCartney offered, he thanked him and went to Paul's room.

"'My Bonnie' is climbing the chart in Germany, George that's why I rang you."

"Me friend told me so," Pete added.

"Finally good news, me dad wants me to work again, he will regret that when I tell him about it," George was cheerful.

"I was talking with Stuart and he told me about it too," John added, "so what's next?"

"Keep play'n," George said, "Not like in that place we played the last time, but still, although Paul won't agree with me, would you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked

"The girl you were with, how was it?" John asked blinking.

"Oh that, she left me there, by the way another girl asked for you George,"