Chapter 28: Bolt from the Blue

Paul arrived early at Brian Epstein's store, but before he'd get in, he practiced in his reflection on a car's window, saying, "Hi Ella, ... Hello!" His pretended excitement made him feel embarrassed. He didn't want her to be angry at him, and he didn't want her to think he was being cold to her.

The real struggle he felt, was because the night before Cleo had asked him to have a real relationship with her, not fooling around, just the two of them as girlfriend and boyfriend. He accepted, in his mind that was the only way to get rid of any feelings he had developed for Ella.

This time he came into the store for real, and said a very awkward Hi to her, but she didn't notice. She had other things to worry about. Ella then heard another hi, and that made her turn to see him, "You're early," she answered dryly.

"What? It's ... oh I see it's not even 1pm." He said, and went to sit on an empty desk.

"They'll be here in 10 minutes I guess." She simply assured him, she went to pick some of the magazines that had arrived, she truly didn't need to see him that day, it was already too many conflicts in her mind, and now she had to spend time alone with him. But as much as she didn't want to see his face that day, it wouldn't work out her way, there in the cover of the magazine, his face, and also the other Beatles, she read quickly and then exclaimed. "Gosh! You won... I mean the band finally won the poll." Her problems stayed in the back of her mind for a moment, and her happiness for them was noticeable, Ella quickly took the magazine to Paul and they read together.

He read, "first place goes for the Beatles

He read, "first place goes for the Beatles ....that's us!" He was ecstatic, he hugged her, and went to see if the other issues had the same results, "This is me... in the cover! Ok Miss, I'm going to buy 5 for my father and other 10 for the neighbour that complained I was playing the piano late at night."

Ella was grinning from ear to ear, "My god look at the others, you look so much better than Elvis,"

The door opened, John and the others arrived, along with Mr. Epstein, they had already seen the great news. He gave a big hug to Paul, and playfully ruffling his hair said, "I told you, this was going to be our year, Macca."

George was looking closely the magazine, and simply added "My ears look too big here."

"That's always, mate." John said giggling.

"Alright, that's a magazine, but do not get overconfident, there's so many other things to accomplish." A stern Mr. Epstein said, who was trying to hide his happiness. "Now hurry up, we need now more than ever that radio interview."

A Friday before George's birthday, his family decided to throw him a surprise party; he returned from spending the day with Paul, who was acting very suspicious, as they entered the house, he suggested  George to go to the backyard for a smoke. As he went out, some candlelights and a string of lights revealed the surprise, they all shouted Happy Birthday, and made him blowout the candles.