Twenty

Today I wrote my math test. And let me tell you, it felt so relieving to have finally gotten it over with. I was confident I did well enough to obtain a B.

After closing my locker, I lightheartedly made my way down the saturated hallway. My friends were all chilling near the entrance, as they usually were. They noticed me approaching and their conversation slowly died down.

"Yo Jaheem!" Jaxon greeted with his fist out "We checking out the new bowling alley that opened up downtown. You coming?"

"Sure." I answered with a shrug and dapped him "When are y'all going?"

They gave me their plans to which I mentally took notes. We talked some more for a while before being interrupted by a loud biracial boy.

"Wassup my b*tches?!"

"If anyone's a b*tch here it's you." I commented with a smug smile.

Luca raised his eyebrows and left his hand on his chest.

"How could you?"

I chuckled because he was too goofy. I really liked that about him: he always lightened the mood.

"We should get going, looks like the buses are leaving." I commented as I looked out the window.

We all grabbed our stuff and head out. I waved at my friends who were getting on the public transport then entered my vehicle.

The second I step foot inside my home a wave of condiments hit my nose. I left my sneakers next to pair way smaller in comparison.

"I'm home!" I announced as I walked in.

I found mom in the kitchen, slicing some meat into pieces.

"Hey mom." I greeted and left her a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey Jaheem, How was your day?"

"It was fine. I wrote my math test today."

I propped my bag up on the counter and took out the stuff that had to be washed.

"That's nice. And how did it go?"

"Pretty good. I might have a B." I answered proudly.

"You better or I'll give you a beat."

I laughed and walked off, but she was most likely serious. I went up the stairs to shower and rest but found a little Afro in the bathroom instead. My eyes widened when I saw the scissors she was holding towards her.

"Maïa what are you doing?!"

Her eyes widened and she hid the scissors behind her back.

"Nothing."

"Maïa give me those..."

She sighed and walked over to put them in my hand. I crouched down to meet her level and lowered my voice.

"Can I know what you were planning on cutting?"

"My hair." she replied in such a small voice that I barely heard it.

My eyebrows furrowed.

"Why would you do that?"

"Because Jalyssa said we should all cut our hair and look like sisters." she tried explaining like it was the most reasonable explanation ever.

In all honesty, her hair was bomb as hell. Kinky hair was underrated, especially her type of tighter coils. Wearing it just gave her extra beauty in my opinion.

"Did you talk to mom about this?"

If possible, Maïa shrunk even more. She shook her head, making her Afro swing from side to side.