Twenty-two

Navia wasn't the type of girl you just "got over". My love for her was like a childhood scar: don't know where I got it but it'll forever be there. I was thankful to spend my time boxing or she'd always be on my mind. It's hard to function sometimes with the thought that she could go out with anyone else at any moment. I mean, I could too, but where do you find another Navia?

The only girl I've ever met that's similar to her is Maïa, but thinking in that direction would be pedophilia and incest. Plus, I'm still trying to learn to love her for a kid. I guess it was good I felt guilty then. It was a sickening feeling, true, but it pushed me to be more protective of her like a brother should be. Like I should of been.

Maïa was seated at the dining table, a triangular sandwich and a glass of orange juice in front of her. Her usual Afro was hidden in the big braids adorned with colourful beads at the tips that Mom had styled to protect against "winter breakage" or something.

Despite getting suspended and grounded, she looked so happy. I had no clue how she just always looked so content with everything. I had a pretty good life too I admit, but it was hard to just shake away all the negative bullsh*t. My anger seemed to always get the best of me which was something I was trying to control.

"Hey Maïa, I'm going to the mall. Don't you have a letter for Santa or something you want me to drop off on the way?"

The little girl stopped eating and brought her hand up to her mouth to hide her giggle.

"What's funny?"

"You still believe in Santa?" Maïa questioned, amusement clear in her tone.

"You don't?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

"I'm eight Jaheem, not six."

I blinked. Well then...

"Um anyways, where's mom?"

"In her room." she replied before taking another bite of her lunch.

"Tell her I went out okay?"

She nodded her head with wide closed-lip smile. I smiled back, waved, then stepped out.

__________

It didn't take too long for me to find her when I stepped into the mall. Vicky noticed me coming so she got up from her seat. We embraced really quickly then pulled away.

We started a conversation so easily as we began walking. Vicky was so chill to hang around and honestly got along with anybody. I guess that was why I wasn't completely mad at her when she made fun of me for almost tripping on the escalator. Her laugh was contagious too, putting anyone immediately in a better mood. She was like sexy female version of Luca.

After each buying our meals from different restaurants at the food court, we found some place comfortable to eat.

"So Mr.Ion like romance, how's your girl?" Vicky asked with a teasing smile.

My eyes focused on the straw I was unwrapping to hide my expression.

"Uh, we broke up actually."

"What? Oh I'm so sorry."

"It's cool, you didn't know." I answered with a shrug then sipped on my drink.

She though I was still in a relationship so obviously this was just a friendly hangout. The guys were wrong.

"Maybe that's why she didn't sign up for the talent show this year." I heard her mumble.

"She's not dancing?" I question with furrowed brows.

"Didn't see her name on the list."

The mixed girl shrugged before biting into her shawarma. Damn, it was to that point? But Navia wasn't the type to let small issues get in the way of her passion. I'm pretty sure she loves dance more than she loves me (if she still loves me), so why wasn't she preforming?

"Hey," Vicky called then snickered "what do you call cheese that's not yours?"

I looked up from my chips'n dip before rolling my eyes playfully.

"Na-cho cheese." she finished.

We both started laughing. It was a really dumb joke, but it did make me feel better.

"Nah, but seriously though I want some cheese."

I pushed her my box of the melted dairy product. My eyebrows raised as she spilled a little in her opened up Arab wrap.

"Thanks bro. What?"

I was still staring in disbelief.

"You put nacho cheese in your shawarma, the f*ck you mean what?"

She simply laughed then continued to eat. I was still shook until I remembered her peanut butter and Oreo phase. This girl really eats anything.

A piece of her beef fell out. I reached out to grab it but her hand quickly slammed down on mine.

"I'll fight you little boy, watch out." she said with a serious face.

That threat was enough to have me retreat my hand. I don't know how I tend to forget she's low-key a dude. I've seen her fight before and she's not one to mess with. I mean, I'm a professional boxer but I can't hit a female (no matter how much I suspect that she don't got female genitals in her pants).

"Damn, it's only one small piece Vick, one small piece!" I said rubbing the top of my hand.

She smiled innocently then flipped her hair. Typical Vick, playing sweet after acting tough.

We spoke some more as we ate our food. Soon enough, all we had left were boxes and wrappers filled with crumbs, and soda cups filled with drops.

"So, what's been up with you?" I asked.

She smiled proudly as she dabbed the corner of her mouth with a napkin.

"I started my own business. I'm shipping my first orders tomorrow."

"Wow, congratulations. What do you sell?"

"Natural, homemade—handmade—cosmetic products. Hold on."

She fished for her phone out of her bomber jacket's pocket. After tapping and swiping a few times, she handed me her device.

"Swipe right." she instructed.

I kept swiping to see different coloured lipglosses, lip scrubs, facial scrubs, face masks and eye creams. She even decorated little boxes where she would ship them in, and had custom thank you cards with needed information. Women like her are top tier.

"Let's go Vicky! Secure the bag! That's how they say it right?"

"Yes fool." she laughed "My momma told me to pray for a rich husband, but I'm going to be the rich husband wassup!"

I paused to process what she just said. She paused to process what she just said.

"Wait, hold on. That's not right." Vicky realized followed by an awkward chuckle.

"You know, sometimes I question wether you really are a girl or not." I told her with a finger on my chin.

"Boy please, I'm pretty sure it's obvious." she answered and cupped her breast, earning a small chuckle from me "Anyways, wassup with you?"

"Well I have a boxing tournament coming up, nothing really besides that."

"Oh yeah! I couldn't get tickets so I'll be streaming it. Hope you win."

"Fingers crossed."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
By the way, if you didn't know already I published
a new book called "She's Broken". It's on my profile so
go ahead and check it out. Don't forget to
⭐️vote
💬comment
💞share