Eighteen

I was at work, laid under one sexy a** car. The engine and design was so old school but it still looked good. It was a silver Jaguar E-Type so I was surprised it was still in great condition. It was the type of ride you would barely see around nowadays, it was most likely passed down.

I might sell my own whip just to get me one like this.

I rolled out from under the vehicle, once I was done with it. After dropping my tool in the metal toolbox, I wiped my hands with my handkerchief. I rolled the handle of the car lift, causing the car to come back down. I slid it away then gave the engine a last-minute check up. I really took my time with this one; if it has stayed this fresh for decades, I didn't want to be the one to wreck years of proper maintenance.

"She's all good?" a biracial boy asked, walking up to me.

"Yup," I said without popping the p (cause that sh*t's hella weird) "pass the keys."

Luca grabbed the keys off the counter and threw them at me. I got in and started the ignition. It made a beautiful roaring sound that made the hair on the back of my neck raise.

Yeah, definitely getting me a ride like this.

I cut the engine then got out. I gave my friend a thumbs up before closing the door.

"Looks like we're done here." he said, rubbing his hands together.

"We?!" I asked, recalling that he literally just walked in.

He gave me and innocent smile and put the toolbox away. I shook my head and chuckled.

"The others and I are linking later, you down to join us?" he then asked me.

"I would but I've got plans." I answered, unbuttoning the top of my overalls.

"Ooh, you got a new lady already?" Luca teased.

I forced a laugh. "Nah, too soon. I'm spending the day with my little sis."

I was trying to get myself used to referring to Maïa as my sister, because that's what she was. I've always been against the saying "you can't choose your family", but I guess she'd have to be the exception.

"Have fun then." he dapped me and left.

The client whose car I was working on came in. I gave him his keys and he gave me my cash. I received my monthly salary from my boss then clocked out.

Mom had to go to some important reunion and her husband, as you guessed it, is never around. I took that as an opportunity to "bond" with Maïa and stuff like that. I actually felt bad this time and genuinely wanted to make things right. I couldn't stop myself from thinking about what would've happened if I never found her on time, or if that man wasn't there. I really did f*ck up...

My work sweat was washed off and my dirty towel was thrown in the laundry basket. I left my room to go downstairs, to find my mom in a floral dress with her purse hanging from her shoulder. She didn't see me until I was in front of her, as she was putting on her high heels.

"You look nice, mom."

"Thank you Jaheem." she answered before walking towards the living room.

It seemed like she was still kinda pissed. I followed her, and found her hugging Maïa.

"Bye Maïa, I'll be back in a few hours okay?"

"Okay mommy." the little girl replied.

Mom then walked up to me and cupped my face with one hand.

"Bye baby, be good."

"I will." I said and forced a smile.

She walked off and the sound of the door closing was heard. A few after that, an engine was started and wheels rolled away.

"So Maïa, what do you want to do?" I wondered, sitting on the couch's arm rest.

"Um..." she started thinking, placing her index on her chin "I want to watch a Disney movie!"

"Okay then, which one?" I asked then slid my phone out of my sweatpants' pocket.

"The one with the lions!"

There was no way I was watching The lion king ever again. I watched it when I was really young and I—um... IcriedwhenMufasadied. Hey, it was very sad and traumatizing, you couldn't blame me.

But Maïa looked so excited about it. She looked at me hopefully, her big dark brown eyes widened, waiting for my response. Letting out a silent sigh, I nodded.

"Yay!"

A smile formed on my lips. Her happiness was kinda contagious.

I googled a site where I could find free Disney movies and looked for the chosen film. Once it showed up on my screen, I connected my phone to the TV. Turning around, I found Maïa already comfortable on the couch. I joined her, listening to the typical intro sound play.

The movie was such a vibe honestly, too bad the king's death ruined everything. It could've been more enjoyable if I wasn't scarred.

Suddenly, it was déjà vu all over again; a heard of antelopes was running right next to the mountain on which Scar and Mufasa were fighting on. My heart was beating faster and my breathing was hitched. Without realizing how I got there, I found myself on the edge of my seat. Why was I acting like there could be a chance he would survive this time? Wait no, why was I traumatized by a kid's cartoon?

Anyways, it finally happened. Scar pushed Mufasa off and Simba went looking for his father. Watching the baby realize his dad wasn't going to wake up put a pain in my chest. I had to clear my throat and swallow hard to prevent myself from crying. Why was I so damn sensitive yo?!

"Jaheem?" a small voice asked next to me.

I looked down at Maïa who was right beside me. "Yeah?"

"Can we change the movie?"

I then realized what a mistake this was. How dumb had I been to let a kid who lost her parents watch a kid loose his father? I got up to remove the movie then went back up to the girl with the puff. I crouched down in front of her, permitting me to see her trembling pout and slightly dripping eyes that were semi-covered by her small fingers.

"Maïa I'm sorry." I told her softly.

All I got was a sniff. I passed my tongue across my teeth, unsure of what to do.

"Uh, do you want a hug?"

She nodded and immediately jumped off to land in my arms. I held her close, foreign to her small body. My hand started rubbing circles on her back when a sob escaped her mouth.

"I know you miss them and it's okay to cry. But don't worry, because you've got us now."

I've never been this gentle before, not with a child anyways. I just couldn't bare the thought of being the one to put her through pain again.

"You still want to watch a movie?" I asked.

She nodded and sniffled. I let her go, hesitated at first, but wiped her cheek anyways. I left to get her a tissue box but when I came back I found her scrolling on my phone. Looking at the TV screen, I saw that she had already picked a movie: The princess and the frog. I should've picked that instead.

Maïa pressed play before running back towards the couch. She sat really close to me and rested her tiny hand on my arm. It was weird at first, but I eventually got used to it.

I said she had us now and I meant it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Aww, how cute. Don't forget to
⭐️vote
💬comment
💞share