One

My heart was hammering in my chest. I breathed heavily as sweat dripped down my face. I was against my hardest opponent yet and let me tell you, it wasn't easy. It seemed like time was passing slowly.

I raised my hands up to protect my face, which already had a bruise or two. The big blonde guy in front of me threw some more punches. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. I didn't get too hurt by his blows which pleased me, he was wasting his energy. I dodged which ever hits I could and blocked the others.

The crowd was loud but it all sounded like a blur, as if my head was underwater. I noticed the boy was slowing down so I took my chance. I completely lashed out on him. My punches got his sides, his face, his stomach. He kept backing up and failing to defend himself. The cheers from the audience got louder and louder. I kept punching and stepping forwards. I gave him a hard hook punch in the cheek, which resulted in his mouth guard flying out with slightly pink spit.

The ref pushed me back so I calmed down. The blonde was on the ground but didn't get back up by the count of ten. The ref raised my arm to announce that I won before I was handed my belt. I felt so great! I just won the city's U18 boxing championship. Scholarships here I come.

After freshening up, I stared at myself in the mirror. Brown skin, bright smile, white teeth, fresh cut... that's a winner's face.

I exited the changing room and went towards the exit. I immediately felt arms suffocating me.

"Jaheem! I'm so proud of you! Congrats!"

"Thank you Navia but please let go cause I can't breathe."

She laughed and let go of my aching sides. "Sorry, I'm just so happy!"

Navia. She's my world. My life's pretty sh*tty most of the time but she manages to make things better. She's the most beautiful and intelligent girl I've ever met, I'm so glad she's my girl.

I didn't have time to react as I was crushed in another set of arms. I already knew it was my mom.

"Oh my baby you were amazing!"

"Thanks mom but please stop calling me that in public." I said a little shamefully.

She let me go before giving me a knowing look. I noticed it was just the two of them congratulating me, of course my dad didn't come. My mom must have noticed that my gaze was traveling as I had a grumpy expression because she quickly spoke.

"Come on, let's go get some pizza to celebrate." she suggested, taking my bag off my shoulders.

"You know I can't, I've removed it from my diet." I informed her as we started to walk.

"Shut up with that stupid diet excuse," Navia said "you won so you deserve to have a cheat day."

"Your girlfriend's right," mom added "Now get your a** in the car."

I laughed reaching the White Mercedes. The doors unlocked so I got in the back with Navia. Mom then drove off into the city. Navia, who is addicted to music, connected her phone to the car by Bluetooth, and played some songs while I was on my phone. I was answering a few congratulating texts.

😼Luca: Yo congrats bro 👏🏽

😼Luca: Had to leave cause my cuzzo's at the airport

Me: It's cool, and thanks tho 👍🏾

We entered the pizzeria together. Mom and Navia were arguing weather we should get a tropical mix pizza (pineapple, chicken, seaweed) or veggie/meat pizza (grind beef, onions, tomatoes, green peppers). I knew they were playfully arguing and it made me so happy how much they got along.

"Ladies, ladies..." I interfered "I think the best solution is to let me choose. I did just win a city championship after all."

They give gave me flat expressions before looking at each other, then back to me. They have such a close bond that they communicate through telepathy.

"I guess he's right." Navia sighed and crossed her arms.

"You damn right I'm right, I can't remember a time I was Goddamn wrong." I teased quoting Lil Yatchy, knowing it came from her favourite song.

She gave me a cheeky smile. Her white teeth went so well with her dark complexion.

"Hmm, I guess so." mom agreed "But next time we eat what I want because I was the one who suggested that we went out."

I made a small victory fist before getting in line to order. I told mom and Navia to find us somewhere to sit so I can surprise them. The few people in front of me gave their orders and moved out. Once in front, I gave my order and paid. I went to join the girls to find them laughing.

Damn what they always laughing about?

"So baby, what'd you get us?" mom asked which made me suck in some air.

Navia giggled. "Yeah baby, what are we eating?"

I glared at her in response. Mom gave me a small hit on the arm.

"Don't shoot daggers ay my future daughter-in-law like that!"

"Damn! Sorry ma."

See? They're really close.

After a few minutes of discussing, we were finally called up. I got up to go get the pizza. I placed it on the table and opened the box.

"Double cheese salami!" I introduced.

"Seriously Jaheem?" Navia asked opening her can of Coke.

"Nah jokingly." I replied sarcastically as I sat down.

Mom took a slice out, blew on it and took a huge bite. Man I was supposed to get the first taste. We ate and laughed and enjoyed our meal.

I noticed mom zoned out after a while. I followed her gaze to see what she was so focused on. I caught sight of a mother playing with her little girl. I hate children. I looked back at mom to see she had a sad smile on her face. She really wants another child but her husband's never around.

I put my hand over hers. "You good ma?"

That caught her attention. She gave me a more natural smile and nodded.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
First story, hope y'all like it! Don't forget to
⭐️vote
💬comment
💞share