Sixteen

My fingers kept tapping against my desk. I was ready to leave school with a burning passion. I had to work afterwards before going back home, but I was looking forwards to it despite how tired I was. My chest felt heavy and my throat went dry ever since the night of the party. I felt horrible and tired, all I ever did was sleep, train and occasionally study.

The bell rung, thankfully ending the teacher's boring lecture. I sprung up and rushed out of the class. I took a route I knew she wouldn't take to reach my locker. I didn't want to see Navia ever again, it was bad enough that she was constantly in my thoughts. I knew I overreacted but she didn't have to do me like that. It was exactly what I feared, she was done with me for good and it hurt like a b*tch.

I lazily dropped my supplies then grabbed my bag before closing my locker. I found Luca near the entrance, talking with my so called friends and some girls. Taking my phone out of my pocket, I waited on the side until he was done with his fooleries. Why was I even driving him to work?

"Okay I'll catch up with y'all later, gotta go make some moola!" the mixed boy exclaimed and stuck his tongue out.

He walked away and joined me so I put my device away.

"Man wassup? I didn't see you during lunch."

"Wasn't hungry." I answered bluntly.

"Yo you sound sick. You should just go home, I'll bus to the garage."

"I'm fine."

"Why you slouching though? You sure you good?" he pressed.

His questions were irritating me. I stopped walking to face him fully.

"Bruh what's with the twenty-one questions?! I'm ite, ite?"

He slightly slit his eyes, clearly not believing me. I huffed and kept walking. He knew not to dig into my business cause I never tell.

We reached my car and got in. The ride was awkwardly silent. I didn't mean to lash out at him but I just did. I was tired and just wanted everyone to leave me alone. Luca turned the radio on at one point, but at a low volume. Neither of us spoke until I parked at our destination.

"Look I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell." I sighed, still not looking at home though.

"Yeah whatever you say, just don't attack customers like this." he replied.

"I know, I'm done."

"This is why everybody fed up with you." he mumbled as he opened his door, but I heard him loud and clear.

"And why is that?"

He froze, most likely surprised I heard him, then slowly closed the door. He raised his eyes, probably debating on wether or not he should tell me.

"To be frank with you, you drive away those around you. When something's up you keep it to yourself and let it slowly eat you up, then it becomes anger that you'll release on others. It's annoying for reals. I used to think we was yin and yang but now I'm rethinking our friendship. I see absolutely no reason to hold on to the years when most of it is just me forcing jokes to put up with your hot-headed a**."

He exited the vehicle once he was done talking. I was lost at words. Luca never got this serious before so it was a big shock. He didn't slip in a joke or had his signature goofy grin on his face. Did he really feel that way about me?

I sighed and rested my head on my steering wheel. I tried to swallow but it felt like a rock went down my throat. I was already warned out, what was the point of going to work? I took my phone that mom gave me back out and left him a message.

Me: If anyone asks I'm sick thanks in advance

Me: And sorry again, I'll think about what you said

I reversed out of the parking lot and drove all the way back home. Sleep felt great right about now so sleep was the plan.

Once inside my house, I went straight to the kitchen. I found Maïa at the dining table, most likely doing her homework. Why did she have so much homework? Wasn't she in third grade or something?

I shook away that thought and walked over to her.

"Maïa?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay." she replied almost immediately.

"No Maïa it's not okay. I said pretty mean things, I have been for the longest. You didn't deserve for me to treat you the way I have and I know that I hurt you."

"But you regret it so I forgive you."

She was being too nice. I took advantage of her once and I wasn't going to do it again. I grabbed a chair and sat next to her.

"Don't give forgiveness to just anyone, especially if they don't deserve it. When you're too good, bad people will take advantage of you and you'll just get hurt again. I don't deserve your forgiveness and what I did wasn't okay, so don't just "forgive" me and tell me it is."

"But you went looking for me and took me to the hospital."

"That's true, but it doesn't take away the fact that I'm the reason you needed to go to the hospital. I really am sorry and this time I'm going to make things right."

"Okay. I'll be ready to forgive you when you're ready."

She then went back to doing her homework. Didn't she understand? I shook my head and got up. I took a few steps but stopped and went back to her.

"Um Maïa, do you still have that stress ball?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Looks like Jaheem is finally making things
right for reals. Don't forget to
⭐️vote
💬comment
💞share