Fifteen

"She ran away?"

"Yes she ran away Jaheem! What did you do?!"

"N-nothing."

Okay maybe that was a little lie.

"Nothing? Nothing?! I know damn well I didn't raise you to lie!" mom shouted "You've been an a** towards her all week and she was putting up with it! What did you say that hurt her so bad that she finally left me?!"

I opened my mouth to answer, then I thought of how she called me by my name for the first time, and closed my mouth. Mom stormed away angrily so I dropped my book bag and followed her. She grabbed a dirty plate and started scrubbing it with a sponge really harshly. Something told me she was imagining my face on it.

"Did you call the cops about it?" I asked, trying to be helpful.

"Yes Jaheem!" she answered loudly before dropping her tone "They said they can't call it a disappearance until it's been twenty-four hours."

"I'm sorry mo—"

"Well you should be!" she yelled, dropping the plate in the sink "The angels gave me my baby back but you can't even be happy for me! Now she's gone again..."

More tears fell so she went back to the dishes. The angels gave her her baby back?

I then remembered how she had a miscarriage when I was nine. She was very happy and excited when she was pregnant (although I wasn't looking forward to being replaced). Then out of nowhere she fell into a small depression and lost a bit of weight. She didn't tell me what was going on but I still knew something was up. Finally, I realized the baby never came so I asked her what happened, she just replied that the angels took her away. It then hit me: mom felt that Maïa was her unborn daughter.

I frowned, realizing what I did. My keys still in hand, I went back to the entrance to put my shoes back on.

"Where do you think you're going young man?" mom asked.

"I'm going to look for Maïa." I answered and unlocked the door.

"Your father's already looking."

"Well the more we are looking the quicker we'll cover more ground." I said then left.

I rushed into my blue Toyota and drove off before even putting my seatbelt on. I was more than an a**hole, I always knew I wasn't the nicest but I never realized all I did was hurt those around me. I've done it to Luca before, I've done it to Navia, now it was mom and Maïa. Anger really is a wicked feeling and I didn't want to hear it when anyone pointed it out. I always blamed him for putting my mom through so much pain but I guess I was equally as bad.

Few drops fell onto my windshield.

"Ah f*ck." I grumbled.

Heavy rainfall started right after and I cursed once more. I didn't even know where I was going and now it was raining. She could be anywhere and could easily catch a cold... or get kidnapped. If we never find her I would never forgive myself. I wanted her out of my life yeah, but not like this.

I then remembered something and swerved violently, most likely making an illegal turn. Ignoring the angry honks, I went faster down the dark empty road. She had really enjoyed the lake so maybe she went there.

I was going a little too fast but managed to hit the breaks in time to stop at a red light. I was the only car on my side so I would be stopped for a while. I did not have time for this! An eight year old girl was somewhere alone in this rain because of me and I had to make things right. My fingers tapped against the steering wheel impatiently. The light finally turned green so I drove off immediately.

I finally made it to the lake so I parked to the side. I ran out without an umbrella, despite the slapping raindrops. The street lights helped me see through the rain but I couldn't see her.

"Maïa! Maïa!" I called.

No answer. I groaned and went back to my car. Driving off, I added the intensity of my headlights and looked around the streets. I stopped at the mall we went to cause maybe she'd be there. I went in, deciding to ask some people but realized I didn't have a picture of her.

"Excuse me, have you seen a little dark girl in an Afro?" I asked a lady.

She shook her head and walked off.

"Excuse me, have you seen a little dark girl in an Afro?" I asked two guys but they said no too.

I asked more people who were exiting the building but only got the same replies. I groaned feeling hopeless. My heartbeat was increasing with my growing anxiety. Where could she be?! The town wasn't that big!

I went back out into the pouring rain. My slightly sore feet brought me across the almost deserted parking lot, and got back into my car. I sighed, deciding to go home but by taking a different route just in case. I was still looking around as I drove, I wanted to find her but wanted to give up at the same time.

Another red light stopped me so I looked out my windows carefully. On my far left there was a park. Kneeling on the muddy grass was a man with an umbrella and he was holding something.. or someone! I recognized the Afro and immediately parked to the side. It could've been another kid with big hair, or even a dog, but I got out and ran across the road anyways. Getting closer I sighed of relief when I saw her face.

"Maïa!" I exclaimed but quickly realized she was unconscious.

"Who are you?" the man asked with a suspecting expression.

"I'm her brother." I replied, which sounded a little odd coming off my tongue.

"Well she's really cold, you should take her to the hospital."

I nodded and he helped me carry her to my car. I thanked him after we put her in the back seat.

"Yeah sure but could I use your phone please?"

He handed me his device. I quickly dialled mom's number, hoping she would pick up right away.

"Who is it—"

"It's Jaheem, I found her and I'm driving her to the children's hospital downtown."

"Thank God," she sighed of relief "your father will meet you there."

I gave the man his device back and he walked off. I slid my still kinda dry hoodie off, leaving me in nothing but a tight skin t-shirt. I removed Maïa's small sweater and put the hoodie on her. She looked pale and lifeless which was really alarming. I checked her pulse which didn't seem abnormal but her skin was really really cold.

I closed the door and hopped into the driver's seat to turn the heater on. I drove off faster than earlier, hoping I wouldn't get stopped by a cop, and managed to make it to the hospital soon enough. I grabbed Maïa bridle style and ran in as fast as I could. I rushed up to the receptionist and she got a medical team to take Maïa away.

I exhaled deeply, making my way to the waiting area. Flopping on a chair with my head hung low, I started a little prayer for her, hoping she'd get better soon.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Do you think Maïa will be okay? Don't forget to
⭐️vote
💬comment
💞share