Ten

"Jaheem! Get your heavy a** up or you'll be late for school!"

I groaned and rolled over. Cold air hit my mostly naked body as my mom pulled the sheets away. I sat up rubbing my eyes.

"Okay I'm up!" I exclaimed in surrender.

"Don't be long or you'll food will get cold." she warned walking out.

I stretched before getting out of bed. I didn't want to. I couldn't believe it was Monday again. I was internally crying. I dragged my feet all the way to the bathroom feeling like a zombie.

These first two weeks of school have been hard because I would often see Navia in the halls but she would just ignore me. Not only that, but my English teacher is a b*tch who obviously hasn't gotten laid in about a century. So who's she gon' let her anger out on? Me of course!

After getting dressed, I grabbed my school stuff and went downstairs. As I went to the kitchen, I spotted my mom in the dining area with her love interest. He's the reason she's been unhappy for the longest yet she's still with him.

"Oh morning Jaheem, ready for another d—"

"I don't want to hear it." I cut him then opened the fridge.

"Jaheem!" mom snapped "Don't talk to your father like that!"

"You mean that sperm Donner? He's not my dad."

When I turned away from the fridge, I saw my mom shooting me death glares. I muttered a "sorry" before sitting down as far away as possible from him. I tuned out their conversation because his voice was the last thing I needed to hear in the morning. I quickly finished my breakfast and left my stuff in the sink.

"Hey Jaheem, could you put my mug away too—"

"Bye mom." I said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

I grabbed my bag and rushed out.

"I'll talk to him when he gets home." was the last thing I heard before I left the house.

__________

Luca and I were talking with some friends near the school entrance. I wasn't paying much attention because my mind was elsewhere. I had to find Navia and talk. I've proven enough times that I changed towards Maïa so she had no excuse to decline. I just missed her so much...

"Yo remember the prude from my math class?" Jaxon asked and we all nodded "She wasn't actually a virgin. She's a freak!"

They all laughed but I stayed quiet. I found them really immature, all they do is hump and dump then they think they're so cool. They're still on this sh*t even in senior year as if it's a never-ending trend.

"What happened?" Luca asked cracking up.

As they went on about they're boyish games I kept my gaze around the halls. It irked me that they just wanted to run after girls to screw them once with no strings attached while I was struggling to just stay in a relationship with the girl I actually love. I bet if they got a girl pregnant they wouldn't take their responsibilities as fathers.

An all too familiar face caught my attention. I waited for her to get farther a bit before leaving my boys to follow her. I strolled after her from a distance through the crowded school hallway. I payed attention to where I was going so I could find my way next time I had to see her, but also so I wouldn't get lost after speaking with her.

Navia stopped in front of a locker that I concluded was hers. I finally reached her and she noticed me right after opening her lock. The first thing that I noticed, when she frowned as a result of seeing me, was that she got her eyebrows done during the small time I haven't seen her. As usual she was wearing something simple but that showcased her beauty, and of course she smelled like cocoa.

"What are you doing here Jaheem? I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I did not want to talk to you."

"Well to answer your question I got to school here," I saw her lip slightly twitch at my joke "and I swear I've changed. I'm sorry for what I did and I promise I'm nicer to her now."

She didn't make eye contact, her gaze was kept on my hair. I got a buzz cut once the hair on the bottom half of my head grew back, I was planning on growing an Afro so I could braid my hair into cornrows. It probably bothered her to see me flat-headed cause she had a thing for my long hair.

"How can I be so sure? You think because you posted her with cute captions on your snap that it makes everything better?" Navia asked, pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Well I've done more than that, of course I wasn't going to post everything on my story or it'll all seem fake. As you said, I'm nice to her not to get you back but cause she's my sis." I explained.

"So you don't want me back?"

"What? I—"

"I'm kidding."

We both laughed. I opened my arms suggestively and she was quick to go in for a hug. Wrapping my arms around her felt so right, like we're two puzzle pieces that are meant to fit. I inhaled her nice cocoa sent but felt a little guilty that I lied so easily and she believed me. I shook it off and pulled away.

"Would you accept to go out with me?" I asked a little shyly, which is very unusual for me.

She placed a hand on my cheek. "Of course, whenever you want."

"Saturday then?" I asked placing mine on top of hers.

She nodded and bit down on her lip. I missed looking up at her eyes that always had a sparkle in them. And her full lips that look so kissable.

The warning bell went off, interrupting our moment. I give her a quick kiss on the cheek before letting go of her.

"How come I never get forehead kisses?" she teased.

"Oh shut up."

She laughed and waved. I waved back before walking away.

__________

I walked out of my bathroom after doing my business. The day has been great for me despite the fact that I was forced to apologize to him and sound "sincere". I was a little tired so I knew I was going to doze off the second my body hits the mattress.

I stopped in my tracks when I noticed Maïa's bedroom door which was opened. She oddly likes to sleep with her door opened, saying she feels "safer" and "more protected". I saw her sitting on the edge of her bed, facing the window so her back was facing me. I glanced towards her hands which were pressed together; she was praying.

"...and protect my new parents, and my new big brother, and bless them for adopting and loving me. That's about it, Amen."

She's sweet, thoughtful and religious, she makes me look like the world's biggest d*ckhead. I shook my head and went to sleep.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
That smile ugh😍🤪(picture in mm). Don't forget to
⭐️vote
💬comment
💞share