Twenty-three

The tree in our living room was almost completely decorated, leaving not much of the green. It had red, gold and white streamers, little angels, fake gingerbread men, and different coloured glass balls.

"Don't forget the ones that light up." I told Maïa, handing her the streamer.

"I want to keep that one for daddy." the little girl replied with a sweet smile.

Speak of the devil... I was about to groan but mom shot me a warning look. I held my hands up in surrender real quick before turning my back to grab some more decorations.

"Wow that Christmas tree looks nice. You did this didn't you Maïa?" he asked and picked her up.

"Yes." she giggled with her hands slightly hiding her face.

"Looks like we've got two artists in the house. I'll see you later to see the finished piece."

He left a kiss on her temple then put her down. Her bottom lip slightly poked out as she frowned.

"Aren't you decorating with us?"

"I can't princess, I have to go to work urgently."

My eyes rolled on their own because of his answer. Because we couldn't tell by the suit you have on and, oh, right: you're never f*ckin home.

"But you promised you would."

"Maïa sweetheart, your dad is needed at his job right now but he'll be back to make cookies okay?" mom said, getting up from her seat and walked over to her daughter.

"I don't know honey, it depends on how long they'll need m—"

I humourlessly scoffed. Mom sent me a glare, as he raised an eyebrow at me, but I ignored them.

"Is there a problem Jaheem?"

"You don't have time to keep a promise you made so you don't have time to give me moral lessons. You wouldn't want to be late for work." I replied, looked him up and down, then went back to looking through boxes.

"Jaheem can't you quit it just for once?!" mom asked with a raised voice.

"It's fine, he's right. I should be going."

"I'll walk you out."

The couple disappeared from my sight after a few steps. Maïa sat on the ground, looking defeated with her mouth still in a pout. It kinda made me feel odd to see her bummed. I sat down next to her, keeping the mystery object behind my back.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah..." she sighed.

"Well you don't seem like you would want to place the star on top." I shrugged.

"Star?"

I brought the final decoration out from behind me. Maïa's face lit up so brightly, like her conversation earlier never happened.

"Please let me put the star on top Jaheem!"

I chuckled and got up. "Of course."

I usually was the one to put the star on top. It felt really strange to even think of letting her do it not gonna lie. But I figured as she was still a child, plus it was her first Christmas home so why not.

After giving her the star, I got behind her then scooped her up with my head, having her sit on my shoulders. She giggled in excitement and that honestly made me happy. It was worth the slight ache I was feeling in my left shoulder form boxing. I got closer so she leaned forwards, stretching her arms out to place the final piece.

"All done!" she exclaimed proudly.

I crouched down so she could get off, then straightened up while massaging where it hurt.

"That was so adorable!"

I turned my head to find mom holding her phone out and smiling with teary eyes. I frowned a little. Was she actually crying of joy or was she previously hurt because of a certain asshole and used this as a cover-up?

I didn't question her though. I simply watched as she walked over to Maïa, who had an excited smile on her face, and they continue to decorate.

__________

All my muscles were sore and hurt as I stepped out of my car. I had just gotten back from training and everything in me felt like it needed a serious massage. As soon as I closed and locked the front door, I was hit with a warm and sweet smell; gingerbread.

I forced my legs to take me to the kitchen where the girls were cleaning up. There were some dough and people-shaped moulds on the counter and Maïa had some flour in her hair.

"Hey Jaheem!" the little girl was the first to notice me.

"Hi baby."

"Hey Maïa, hey mom. Y'all done with the cookies I see."

"Not yet, we're waiting for daddy so we can decorate!"

A sigh almost escaped my mouth. That girl was going to be let down and disappointed by her "father" multiple times, but knowing her she'll just forgive him over and over again. She's going to end up hurt again and I really didn't like that.

"Well, um... I'm going to take a bath." I said.

Mom and I shared a look, she must've understood how I felt because she shot me a sympathetic smile.

I went up to the bathroom, and immediately regretted why I went up the stairs by two's. Every movement I made would send pain through my body. A long groan left my mouth because of what I was about to do. Once in my birthday suit, I slid some shorts on, grabbed two big buckets and went back downstairs.

I opened the front door, shivered because of the change in temperature, then walked up to the pile of snow that was made when creating a path to walk. I jogged in place as I scooped up the snow, I really hate the cold. Once both buckets were filled I went back inside to dump their content in the bathtub.

It took me a four minute pep talk and some light exercises to get me in that freezing hell. I kept mumbling curses as I slowly lowered my body in the snow, clenching my jaw the second the cold made contact with my skin. It was really painful, but my body will feel better afterwards.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Y'all... Taraji P Henson... as Jaheem's mom👀
What do you think? Don't forget to
⭐️vote
💬comment
💞share