Twelve

I stared at the blank canvas in front of me. I had a palette of paint in one hand and an unused paintbrush in the other. My hands were rirking me to paint but I lacked inspiration. Letting out a deep sigh, I put the palette down then started fiddling with my brush.

Music sometimes inspired me, so I put my headphones over my ears and pressed the shuffle button on my screen. A smile formed on my face as I heard A lot by 21 Savage and J.Cole starting to play. I really liked that song because of the truthiness it hold.

"How many times did she leave? (A lot) How many times did she cry? (A lot)."

Those lyrics made my smile drop instantly. A flashback to when Navia dumped me went through my mind. My throat knot at the memory of her crying. My mouth then went sour as I felt bad that we were only back together cause I lied.

I removed my headphones and turned the music off. Checking the time, I saw that it was soon time for my game to start. After leaving my apron and my brushes, I went downstairs to the living room. My brows furrowed in confusion when I saw Maïa sitting on the couch while scrolling through Netflix.

"I have a game to watch so it'd be nice if you left." I told her, tying not to sound too rude.

"Oh sorry baby!" mom exclaimed as she walked in with a bowl of popcorn "We're watching a movie together."

Seriously?

"You can watch with us if you want big brother." Maïa offered.

"Thanks but no thanks." I replied with a tight smile, before walking off.

Now I couldn't even watch TV in this house! I'd have to wait for someone to post the game highlights on YouTube if I really wanted to view it. My mom spent so much time with Maïa it was like I no longer existed... and that pissed me off.

Grumpily, I went back upstairs, taking two steps at a time. Once in my bedroom, I flopped on my bed and sighed through my nostrils. My phone rang and I recognized the custom ring tone that was playing.

"Hello boo." I said with a smile.

"Hey boo," Navia replied "I just wanted to hear your voice."

I chuckled and sat up. "Aw you miss me that much?"

"Yes! Now stop making fun of me..."

"Okay sorry, sorry. How's dance?"

And she started ranting about the drama at her studio. She always managed to make me listen and genuinely care about things I had no interest in. I mean, her voice was so soft yet confident and just sounded amazing.

I'd listen to her over J Cole any day.

"Wow." I laughed when she finished "And she didn't get in trouble for that?"

"No! But I'll show her not to mess with me!"

I couldn't help but laugh even more. She sounded just like me which was adorable. When I first met her, she was a little quieter and would never threaten anyone. She became a mini-me.

"Are you seriously making fun of me?!"

"No." I cleared my throat and stopped laughing "Anyways, Luca is having a party next weekend, want to come with me?"

"I'd love to but you know I don't like parties too much. And we both know how ya boy likes to get down."

I imagined her laid on her stomach at the edge of her bed, looking down at her nails while the phone was between her shoulder and ear while wearing some yellow.

"Please? It's a streetlight party where you gotta dress according to your relationship status. I wanted us to be there together wearing red."

"Stop making that face Jaheem, I can't see you." Navia laughed, imagining that I was pouting, which I was (but that's not important).

I laughed too, being caught red-handed (no pun intended).

"Okay, I'll go with you. Just send me the needed info—"

I heard a deep muffled voice coming from her end of the line.

"Okay damn! Can you get out of my room now? Thank y—NAVEEN YOU AR*E FACE CLOSE MY DAMN DOOR!"

I laughed, pulling my phone away from my ear. She really did pick up some of my behaviour.

"Sorry. So how's your mom and Maïa?"

We talked some more and my grin grew wider as I finally knew what I wanted to paint. We had to end our conversation because she was on her way to dance, so I entered my art room.

I first started with a thin layer of light blue in the background except in the middle. While I was waiting for it to dry, I mixed some orange with darker colours to get the right shade of dark brown. I went to get some red and green paint too before sitting back down on my stool. After dipping my medium brush in the chocolate dark brown, I shaped out a head and neck. All I had to do was imagine her face and her beauty and my hand would work on its own.

A small set of knocks came from my door. I exhaled, already knowing who it was. I just hoped it was important if she was interrupting my painting.

"Come in."

I turned on my seat to face Maïa who was stepping in.

"Big brother? Um, can you help me with my homework please?"

"Seriously Maïa? Go ask mom for help."

I dismissed her with my hand and faced my painting again.

"But she's working and told me to ask you to help me." she said in a quiet voice.

"Well I'm busy so get out."

"Okay. I'm sorry."

She walked out and closed the door. I hated it when my paintings were interrupted. Inspiration didn't come easily and when it did, I just wanted to put my imagination onto a canvas. My emotions could easily transfer themselves onto my work and annoyance was not the theme of my painting.

The door bust open, slightly startling me, and made my brush slip.

"Jaheem I know damn well your sister didn't ask you for help and you refused because you're drawing!"

Ah f*ck.

"Do you seriously expect me to stop everything I do every time she needs help?! Huh?! You damn too spoilt that's what... Get your a** down there and help Maïa with her work before I loose my sh*t and beat you!"

I held in my sigh and removed my apron. I closed my containers, dropped my used brushes in a glass of water then looked up at my mom.

"I'm sorry—"

"Oh you will be. I want the key to this room cause you ain't painting til you learn your lesson."

My heart stopped. What? No more painting? Or moulding?

"Now hurry up and go help your sister."

It wasn't my fault! She knew I was painting and she knew how much I hate being distracted.

__________

I wrapped my towel around my waist and stepped out of the shower. The bathroom air was steamy from all the hot water that was coming out. On my way to my room, I stopped, hearing Maïa's voice from the halls.

"...could take care of Jaheem's angry problems because he's my brother and I love him and I don't want him to have problems. Also, I want pancakes for breakfast tomorrow. Thank you, amen."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Looks like someone's always getting himself into trouble. Don't forget to
⭐️vote
💬comment
💞share