18

We were about to direct ourselves to the wedding reception as soon as the wedding was done when I heard my phone ringing loudly. I excused myself as I started to feel all eyes were on me. My mother excused me from everyone and I went to the back of the building.

It was when aunt brought the news to me and I instantly fell to my knees. I broke down, fearing the news I heard.  Sobs tore my throat as I could no longer utter a word, yet I still tried upon hearing her call my name. "A-Auntie...w-why did it happen?" I covered my face, waiting for her response. I could hear her sharp breathing and the sound of her chest being hit. 

"T-there's something you need to k-know, anak. I do not want to ask you to come here since you are with your family, but my son insists that you come back..." she then began to sob again. "Will you please come back here, Stacy? My Jake needs you," she begged. My tears continued to drop while I was standing up. 

"Yes, auntie. Of course," just when I was about to turn around, I bumped into Henry. Seeing his face made me tear up again. I ran into his arms, crying for the second time. I did not care the fact that he might get mad at me. 

"Frère, what do I do?" he looked away when I looked up at him. My cries were getting louder and it was probably audible to the people behind these walls. He shushed me, rubbed my back, and told nothing else. He guided me towards the exit, our family watching us closely. 

"Ahem...Hannah will have her departure today. " 

"What? What? Why?" Marie questioned, looking at me but Henry pushed me behind him, not letting her near me. She looked defeated, unable to accept that our brother is not letting her console me. "Mathieu, start the car. We will leave now." Marie tried to run towards us but mother was able to hold her still.

"No..."

She then shouted, "Sœur, Sœur, je t'aime. Je t'aime, Sœur...je t'aime." I heard Marie repeating those words as we walked away. I looked back at her, make up messed up, and then waved goodbye. 

__________

I hurriedly went back as soon as I received a call from his mom. All I wanted to think was that he was going to be alright and everything will be okay. How am I supposed to think that everything will be okay when all my assumptions about his illness were slowly unfolding? 

Please be alright, my love. I won't allow this. 

While Mathieu was driving me to the terminal, and Henry was hastily checking for my ticket and the conveniences just in case I need to relax while inside the plane. Henry didn't have any time to oppose me since I was in distress and was literally in panic mode. I am not calm.

He nudged me by his elbow and suggested, "Now, will you stop panting like a madwoman there? Breathe in and out, Hannah." Even his words did not come off harshly. He was typing in his phone, contacting a private pilot.

"I am just worried. Could you fasten your speed, Mathieu?" my voice was barely audible yet he was able to pick it up.

He grunted yet he still fastened the car speed. He was gripping the steering wheel which frustrated Henry. It was his car we were using. "Can anyone tell me what is happening?" Mathieu grumbled, looking at me in the mirror.  "You're just crying and sobbing and wailing—so what the heck is happening?" He panicked, causing Henry to attack him with few harsh words.

My hands were tightly clasped together as I explained it to him. "Jake had a heart attack and I'm afraid he is in a critical condition..." I began to sob, commemorating the times when he drops himself on the ground, massaging his chest and holding on to something to support his weight. Everything was already revealed to me yet I did not care about it.