#19: Let the Games Begin!

August 11, the day of the Miyagi Prefectural Deciding Tournament, rolled by really quickly. The team was huddled up in a corner on the second floor, and a couple of bypassers were whispering about them.

"That's Karasuno."

"Karasuno?"

"Back at the Interhigh Prelims, that team went full sets against Aoba Johsai. These guys had them down at the wire."

"Oh, no joke?"

"Supposedly, they have that guy from Kitagawa First, the King of the Court."

"I hear they also have Nishinoya from Chidoriyama Middle School.

"The guy who was called best Libero when we were in middle school?"

"Yeah, but other than the Libero, I think there was one player guy who kept recieving Oikawa's serves. I think it's their Captain."

"But Karasuno doesn't give me the impression that they're all that huge..."

"I think there was a guy close to 6'3 on their team. The two guys on their left are scary! They really look like power spikers. And, more than anything else, they have three sexy managers!"

"Sexy?! More like beautiful!"

"Lastly, what they're known for: their tiny middle blocker who lands ridiculous fast attacks, and their extra Libero, who's a girl, and received Oikawa's serves too."

"Ew, the kid looks sick!"

Hearing those words, Haneul turned to look at Hinata, whom indeed looked sick. "Hinata, are you feeling okay?" Yachi asked, approaching the ginger. "Yeah I'm fine, I'm okay. I puked on the way here so I feel a little better now." "Eating tons of Katsu bowls so early in the morning is bound to make you sick," Kei commented from his seat aside Haneul, who laughed a little at Hinata's response. Kageyama called him a moron, and they started to argue while Yachi looked for medicine for Hinata.

"Just thinking about eating and then puking makes me want to puke myself," Tadashi murmured, making Haneul look at him pitifully and rubbing his back. "Then go to the bathroom!" Kei exclaimed, but Haneul tried to calm him down. When Tadashi didn't, the brunette helped him up and walked him to the bathroom, waiting outside for him. Hinata then saw her, since he walked to the bathroom afterwards. "Shouyo-kun, can you check on Tadashi? He's inside, probably puking..." she asked, gaining a nod from him. "No problem, Ha-chan!"

Just as he said that, Hinata bumped into an Ohgi Minami player while entering the bathroom, who confused him with a middle schooler. "I'm a first year at Karasuno High School, Shouyo Hinata! We're winning this tournament and going to Nationals!" "Sho-kun!! Keep it down!!" Haneul said, but got scared at the face the other player made. "Karasuno? Don't talk like getting to Nationals is so easy." "But I'm telling you the truth, right Ha-chan?" The short girl nodded, and continued, "We're gonna beat everyone, and go to Tokyo."

"Look, if that were to miraculously happen, you would just get crushed by Shiratorizawa. But until then, let's have some fun," the guy said, then proceeded to leave. Hinata looked at Haneul for a moment, and they both shrugged.

"The game before us is over! Ready, guys?" Daichi asked, smiling at his team

"The game before us is over! Ready, guys?" Daichi asked, smiling at his team. "Let's go!!!" Everyone yelled, rushing inside the court. Haneul pushed their cart along with Tadashi, and started to look around. Obviously, mostly everyone that was looking forward to their match was looking at her with curiosity, and it still made her nervous. However, what really struck a match was the other team's members. "Owa... I'm never getting used to this..." Haneul said, blushing while holing a volleyball. "No worries, Ha-chan! You're awesome!" Tanaka said with a grin, making her smile. "Shut up, moron," two of the other team's members glared, and Tanaka started glaring back from Haneul's side. "Ohgi Minami looks like it's full of delinquents." "Ryu-senpai, stop with the face," Haneul told him, and he minimized it. "Ah? Taking orders from a woman? No wonder you're the clipped crows," one of the two others said, and they started to laugh.

This caused Tanaka, Hinata, Kageyama, Nishinoya and Kei to start glaring at the opposing team. Even Sugawara and Daichi had begun semi-glaring at a distant. "Y-ya! Stop it!" Haneul said, "Tobio-kun! Spike warm up!" At her words, Kageyama and the others nodded, and proceeded to start intimidating the opposing team. "No one disrespects Ha-chan!" Hinata yelled as he spiked, making Haneul blush from her place on the sidelines. Soon after, they all lined up and started the game. After their huddle, while the others walked onto the court, a voice from the audience said, "I better see my great granddaughter play today, you brat!" The brunette turned to see Ikkei standing aside Yachi in the stands. She smiled and waved at him, "Gran-Gran! Hi!" The old coach smiled at her and waved, then, the game came to a start.

Asahi served up a service ace, gaining them the first point. Then, gradually and speedily, they gained point after point, winning the first set. "You guys are so amazing!" Haneul beamed as she gave them their drinks. "Do you want to switch in?" Ukai asked her, but she just shook her head. "Yuu-senpai is doing great, and doesn't seam tired, so I don't see the need." "Coach! Please sub in Ha-chan!" Nishinoya exclaimed, making her worry. "W-why, senpai? Are you hurt? Do you feel okay?" Haneul asked, but the older libero just stared intensely at her. "My pride is hurt." "E-eh?!"

Keishin and Takeda were a bit lost, like Haneul, until Kei spoke up. "They said we're the clipped crows because we have Haneul." This angered Keishin a bit, but he didn't find any reason to sub her in. "Coach, please. No one is going to mess with us anymore," Daichi said, which surprised them. He then was convinced, and switched her in the second set. As they saw her walk inside the court, some Ohgi Minami players felt a sense of ease. "Alright! This'll be a piece of pie." Tanaka grinned, knowing he'd eat up those words later.

And he was right. Haneul dug up almost all of the balls heading their way, and soon they were in the lead, 22 to 13. "Tobio-kun, aim your serve at number 12," Haneul whispered to him, and he nodded. This is what Ikkei found curious: little details like whispers and looks Haneul gave to the team that made all the difference. It was as if she was studying the opposing team's moves all at once, and could analyze each situation on the spot. It also seamed that what she didn't have in reach or speed she made up in statistic intellect. 

The team then made it through their first win. "Ha-chan!! Good job!" Nishinoya exclaimed, high fiving the short brunette. Kei approached her and smiled, patting her head. "Great job, as always." They lined up and thanked the opposing team for the game, and got to pick up their stuff. Once outside of the gym, Haneul handed the members each a snack, which were mostly either bananas or protein bars, along with juice. They then went to see who their next opponent was, only for Hinata, Yachi and Haneul to grow scared. 

"A weapon... The height itself is a weapon..." Tadashi murmured as he watched the 6'7 player. And to make matters worse, the guy ended up being in the team they were to face next. 54 While the team exited, the tall player walked by them, making Haneul freak out. "6'7 is super huge!" Hinata exclaimed, shivering. "6'7 versus 5'3, huh? That's a 16-inch difference," Kei said, making Hinata shiver even more. "Sixteen inches is the same size as Hello Katey!" Yachi said, trying to make him feel better. "Shouyo-kun, it's fine. 16 inches doesn't beat a 20 inch difference..." This made everyone turn at the sound of Haneul's voice, finding her cowering as well. "20 inches, woah! That's a lot..." Sugawara said, and was told by Daichi not to fan the flames. 

Kei hugged his girlfriend, and told her it wasn't a big deal. "Yeah but you're tall, Kei-kun..."  "I'm all the tall you need." His response was so cheesy it made Haneul red as a tomato. Thank the heavens no one else heard. Kei chuckled, and then they were called by Daichi to enter the court. "Yah, don't play like that, Kei-kun," Haneul said, walking behind him inside the court. The team huddled together in the middle of the court, and Daichi gave a small pep talk. 

"I don't want either of you three worrying about your heights," he said, looking at the Short Trio. "Hey, who said I gave a shit about that?!" Nishinoya angrily exclaimed, stomping his feet. Daichi decided to ignore him, and continued, while looking at the brunette and the ginger, "We're a team, and we'll beat this team together. Karasuno, fight!" "Fight!" And so, the team went on to face their oponent of 6'7.