New Idea

TW: Bruises

Crutchie POV
When Davey and Jack turned a different way, I let the smile leave my face. I know Davey had noticed the black eye, but it was dark enough that Jack hadn't. Should I tell someone? I thought for the thousandth time that day. I had been debating with myself this whole time about whether I should tell someone. I hadn't wanted to for a long time, mostly because I didn't want any more pity than I already got. But the pros seemed to outweigh the cons. Then I will tell someone. But who? Both Jack and Spot would go and fight my dad, and Elmer probably would too. Actually everyone in the gang except Davey probably would. Davey would think it through and not fight him. I don't really WANT anyone to fight anyone. I will tell Davey then, and after that we can figure it out. I decided.

By then I was outside of my apartment complex. I sighed and opened the door, making my way to the elevator and then to my apartment door. I walked in quickly and quietly, happy to see my dad passed out on the couch. I snuck past the living room and went into my room. There I pulled out my phone.

LittleBrother1: Hey Davey

Davey: Hey Crutch

Davey: What do you need?

LittleBrother1: can i tell you something tomorrow in private, but you have to promise not to tell anyone else until im ready?

Davey: Yeah, we can talk on the way to first period, okay?

LittleBrother1: okay, thanks!

With a smile I turned my phone off again. I quickly got ready to go to sleep. I played on my phone for a while before actually falling asleep.

Davey POV
Once I turned off my phone I bit my cheek a little nervously. What did he want to tell me? I wondered. Shaking it off I let my mind rest and fell asleep.

~~~Time of the Skips~~~

I got out of my moms car and said goodbye, making my way to our table. The rest of the gang was there, except for Sarah and I. When I sat down a few people nodded to me, but the others looked deep in a conversation.

"What are they talking about?" I asked Jack.

"We are brainstorming how to stop the rules for good," Jack explained while leaning over to me. I nodded and focused on the conversation.

"We could all skip school, and get the rest of the clubs to do so!" Race suggested.

"First we need to get the rest of the clubs back on board with us," Spot pointed out.

"Yeah, again I'm sorry about that." Jack said while awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.

"It's fine, you had a reason." Crutchie waved it off.

"Well what else can we do?!" Romeo said exasperatedly.

"We could try a sit in," Specs suggested.

"We couldn't do that, none of us would last." Albert argued.

"What if we did something with newspapers," Katherine said. "We are in the Newspaper Club."

"Yeah, what if we did a article, or a banner of sorts against it." Sarah added.

"We could hand it out to everyone and ask them to join us in the yard starting in first period and staying however long it takes," Finch agreed.

"We could have Jack tell Pulitzer as well!" I added. "This could work!"

"Oh! I know what we could name it, like the headline!" Elmer said. "I read about a Newsboy Strike in 1899, so we could call it 'The Newsies Banner'." We all nodded in agreement.

"I think we have a plan." Jack said with a smile. The bell rang then and we got up, everyone excited to keep working on this. I waited a little until it was only Crutchie, Jack, Elmer, and I.

"You too go ahead, I want to talk to Davey about something," Crutchie said, and Jack and Elmer nodded. Once they were ahead we started walking.

"So what did you want to talk about?" I asked.

"So promise you won't tell anyone else and that you won't freak out." Crutchie started. I nodded.

"Of course,"

"So this is about why I come to school and other places with bruises and such..."