13. Prisoner of War

"Friendly" was not a word used to describe Kurt Traverstine. "Warm" and "approachable" were also words rarely said about the career soldier.

It's not that he was a horrible person. Kurt was just busy with his work. A top Alliance marine, 250 successful operations under his belt, and several medals celebrating his valour and combat expertise.

He was almost insulted that it took so long for him to be invited to the Agency. Not as an agent, but as the director of security for an Alliance vessel.

The Cerberus.

Though in addition to his new role, he was made aware his primary mission was one of protection and monitoring, for he had joined the crew of the Cerberus along with a woman on work release. A woman who had, until recently, run with a prominent terrorist group.

So, Kurt had decided before he joined officially, he would speak to the squad's leader, Agent Zeus. From all reports he was cleared to read, a well-respected military man. They should get along famously.

It has yet to be mentioned yet, but Kurt is not Human. Short in stature but heavily muscled, with a clean-shaven face and head. Tattoos of his family's history and culture painted the canvas on his body.

Kurt was a Dwarf, and damn proud of it!

So, there he was, sitting outside of the command bridge, just waiting for Agent Zeus to arrive.

Even as an observer, Kurt found himself really liking the Cerberus, although its primarily human crew annoyed him. Most Agents were human, for whatever reason.

A treasonous thought crossed Kurt's mind, but he quickly buried it down. In an age where psychic testimony was prevalent, a thought like that could earn him a re-education.

'Kurt Traverstine?' Agent Zeus asked, shaking the dwarf out of his reverie.

Kurt stood, straightening his back and saluting.

'At ease, Traverstine,' Zeus said with a smile. 'So long as you do your job, you don't need to bother with salutes.'

'Respectfully, sir,' Kurt said proudly, 'a Dwarf like me lives for the chain of command.'

Zeus nodded. 'Carry on, then.'

Zeus strode onto the command deck and Kurt followed.

'Do you have a report, lieutenant?' Zeus asked, sitting down in his chair.

'Prisoner is in the brig, and I have moved my belongings to Room 14B.'

'The brig?' Zeus said quizzically, 'I was under the impression she was on work release.'

'Yes, sir,' Kurt said hesitantly.

'So, if she's helping us, regardless of who she is, she should get her own room. Yes?'

'Or she should share said room in case she tries to sabotage the ship.' Kurt said quietly.

'Good idea,' Zeus agreed, 'though, it shouldn't be you sharing the room. A woman is entitled to some time away from annoying men.'

Zeus laughed at his joke, but Kurt didn't. It wasn't that funny.

'One of your agents, then,' Kurt offered. 'A female agent sharing the room with Warsaw will put my security concerns at ease and quell your concerns as well.'

'Excellent. I will put her with Agent Dionysus, she still has a bunk in her room. Is that all?'

'Yes, sir, I've had a glancing look around the ship...'

Minnie sat in her new room, after hours in the brig. She was sharing with Dionysus, the agent she didn't have enough time to properly talk to on Set Station. It would be interesting to share living quarters with someone who was supposed to be her enemy.