2. Death Is Preferred

'Hello prospective Agent,' the cool voice of Scarlet said on the monitors. Anemoi, for that was his name now, looked at the monitors and tried to absorb what he could, ignoring the others present. At least until he had a better grasp.

'You have been selected base on probes done into the past using a technique passed on by a race known as Wals. If you are a Wal yourself, you may ignore this explanation. Wals perceive time differently, thus we at this agency were able to observe your life much like a motion picture.'

Anemoi furrowed his brow. He silently hope they only focused on certain aspects of his life.

'What we saw in your life, for a multitude of reasons, made us select you for this process. You have been given a new name related to Greek Mythology, as you will possibly be added to a squad named Olympus. One leader will be chosen and given the name Zeus, Hera or Hades as they so choose.'

'What about those that don't make the cut?' Anemoi found himself wondering. Scarlet spoke as if she had heard him.

'All prospective agents will be divided into teams of seven, each led by a leader candidate. These teams will all be sent on the same mission of extreme danger. The team will be selected afterwards out of the survivors. If there are no survivors, the team will be chosen based on performance and re-cloned. All who are not chosen will be euthanised.'

'Well, that's bleak!' said someone behind Anemoi. He jumped over the bench and sat next to him, holding his hand out. 'Hey, name's Cerberus. Like the three-headed dog. Boy, did I luck the fuck out, huh?'

Anemoi smirked and shook Cerberus's hand. 'Anemoi. It's a wind God, I think?'

Cerberus grinned. 'Well, I've never heard of them. To be fair, though, the extent of my Greek knowledge is Zeus liked screwing people and Hera was always pissed off.'

Anemoi felt at ease with this new fellow. 'So, what military and era are you from?'

'Oh, I ain't military,' Cerberus admitted. 'The dude who woke me up... uh... Set? He said some agents get chosen for combat prowess, I'm guessing that's you. I got chosen for my skills in a conversation.'

Anemoi blinked incredulously. 'You have... no combat experience?'

'None at all,' Cerberus said. 'Truth be told... I'm kinda worried about it. Hopefully I can talk my way out of the problem, ha!'

Anemoi was reeling from this information. He had expected everyone in this room to be part of a military somewhere in history. This was, after all, a special operations agency from what he had been told. The mission they were being sent on was going to be "a mission of extreme danger".

'Some get chosen for other applications as well,' someone else said. A woman with fiery red hair sat on Anemoi's other side. 'I was chosen for my medical knowledge. Hence my new name of Panacea.'

'Then why test us all on the same mission?' Anemoi asked. 'You two are more likely to get killed than a seasoned veteran. This selection process doesn't make sense.'

'It's not supposed to,' said one other voice. Anemoi, Cerberus and Panacea turned and saw the man leaning against the wall. 'Have you not been paying attention? We aren't people anymore. We're tools in service to this agency. Tools are discarded if you can't use them.'

'Wow,' Cerberus said, 'You must be really fun at parties.'

'I've been in this kind of world before,' the man said. 'They want to see us in situations we aren't prepared for as well. A good agent has to be able to adapt, after all. And shooting a target is only one kind of mission. We might need information. We might need to cure someone.'

The man jerked his head to the other side of the room where one man was kneeling in front of the window showing space. 'That guy's a super religious guy who requested a sword. In a world of guns. I saw engineers, scientists, criminals... And before any of you ask... I'm an assassin.'

'So everyone here has different skills. I'm a pilot and soldier, but I wouldn't be able to do everything... It makes a certain sense...' Anemoi said contemplatively.

'The teams of seven are also likely going to be generated so each team compliments each other,' the man continued. 'Cloning us all back to life was likely expensive, they don't just want to throw us at a problem and hope.'

'Well, here's hoping we're on a team, eh, Anemoi?' Cerberus said with a grin.

Anemoi was still unsure about all of this, but there was nothing he could do to change it. He turned his attention back to Scarlet on the screen.

'-will be provided with a personal data assistant that will store mission information. Please study it before leaving on your mission. And now, for team assignments. Leader's of teams will be named first and given a number.'

Anemoi paid close attention to the leaders. He heard Hephaestus, Athena, Aphrodite, Icarus, Pandora, Styx and... Anemoi. Seven teams of seven, and he was to lead the seventh team. He listened to the names as they were called and assigned the names, noting them for later.

Cerberus, Thanatos, Tartarus, Apollo, Enyo, Panacea.

'What luck,' Panacea said with a subtle smile. 'Don't get us killed, Anemoi, or I will be rather cross.'

'You're the boss, huh?' the man said. 'Tartarus. Same sentiment as the redhead.'

Anemoi nodded. He was going to be leading a team again, but this time the enemy was not Nazis. It was something no one in this room could possibly have prepared for.

The next day after a long rest, a good meal and being equipped with armour and weaponry, Anemoi stood by the seventh shuttle. However, someone was missing.

'Has anyone seen Panacea?' he asked those present. Cerberus and Tartarus were here, but they both shook their heads. Anemoi looked at the others, who also shook their heads. Was he already down a squad-mate?

'Apologies,' a voice came, a Southern drawl that seemed to barely contain contempt and malice. Anemoi immediately went cold at the voice as he turned. 'We have not met, but I am your commanding officer. Captain Nevada.'

Nevada's eyes flickered to the team, then back to Anemoi. 'Panacea was found dead this morning via suicide. So we have taken the opportunity to clone you a new medical squad member. Her name is Agent Epione.'

A new woman was pushed forward by a guard in deep blue armour. She looked angry and pained, like she was freshly cloned.

'I'm sure it will be fine,' Nevada said. 'After all, we chose you for a reason, Agent Anemoi...'

And then he was gone, walking away and leaving Anemoi to load his squad aboard.

'Alright... Olympus-Seven, get on board. We've got a space station to take back.'

'Just like Star Wars!' Cerberus whooped as he boarded.