31: Suicide Squad

Kurt Mason was in the brig. Zeus couldn't bear to look at the man right now, still processing his betrayal. With Minnie having left to warn Olympus's target, and down the useful gun that was Kurt, Zeus needed to absolutely ace his squad layout for the mission to the November Victor planet of Fries II.

Zeus would need to bring the members of Olympus Squad, so that meant Epione, Enyo, Tartarus, Thanatos, Dionysus and the recently re-acquired Apollo, thanks to Zodiac Squad's delivery. Going up against Renee White, Zeus would want some of the best to help, so he had Gunn and Abigail as backup to act with his soldiers in Olympus. With Kurt's betrayal, he'd need Marcella to ensure he didn't break out during the mission.

What if they couldn't kill Renee? Zeus had a fallback plan involving the reactor core of the base they were heading to, something he was certain Junior could handle, but he wanted Riley to come as well to give the kid some more back up.

He had his squad. Zeus breathed in hard, then turned the display off. It was time.

The shuttle to Fries II was one of quiet reflection. Zeus was piloting the craft, with Epione sitting beside him in the co-pilot's chair. The rest of Olympus and their support was sitting in the back, checking their weapons and equipment, not saying a word. It was a silent agreement that nothing could be said that would make this mission feel less dirty.

Assassination was something Tartarus had done in the past. People who paid for his services generally wanted someone difficult to kill buried. But Renee was in enemy territory, in a heavily guarded base, and likely expecting them. Everything in Tartarus's soul told him this was a trap.

Tartarus glanced towards the cockpit, eyeing what he could see of Zeus. The man was desperate for a win in the Agency, that much was clear. What was Zeus willing to do to get it, though?

BANG!

A heavy round punched through the shuttle, through the floor and into the left engine behind Enyo. The shuttle began to sputter and smoke outside as the craft lost altitude. Zeus pulled back on the controls to try and ease the landing, and put it down into a snow bank.

Luckily no one was seriously hurt, though Zeus was certain the shot was not meant to kill. He unfastened his restraints and walked to the back of the shuttle, kicking open the back door.

"Olympus, move out."

No one argued. They all grabbed their weapons and equipment and piled out into the snow outside. Once Epione left the shuttle last, Zeus continued to speak.

"We need to get to the base on foot now. Once inside, two objectives and two teams. Epione, Apollo, Tartarus, Riley and Abigail, you're with me to carry out the assassination and download any files that the Alliance could benefit from. Dionysus, you'll lead team two, which is Enyo, Thanatos, Gunn, Junior and yourself, to initiate a self-destruct of the base. If we die here, we'll make sure to take them with us. Understood?"

Epione rose her hand and Enyo looked like she was about to speak, but Zeus turned around.

"Good. Roll out."

Zeus moved forward as quickly as he could manage in the snow. Tartarus, Thanatos and Gunn quickly followed. After cautious and worried glances, the rest of the team took off after them.

It didn't take long, however, for the action to begin. A shot rang out over the cold air and pinged off of Thanatos's pauldron. Zeus dove into cover behind a truck with Gunn as the rest of his team took defensive positions.

Abigail pulled a mirror from her front pocket and used it carefully to see where the shots were coming from.

"I see two," she called to Zeus. "I can't take both!"

Gunn nudged Zeus's shoulder to get his attention. "I can help Abigail. That way each team is a person down and we can hold the snipers out here."

"Good call," Zeus said. "Everyone clear on that?"

"Clear," Tartarus said. He'd have liked to stay and fight the snipers, thus getting out of fighting Renee, but Gunn's plan was a good one.

"Once Gunn and Abigail engage, beeline for the base in your teams. Front door is team one, side door to the east is team two. Sync."

A unanimous 'sync' followed over the mics. Zeus readied himself to run as Gunn gripped his rifle tightly.

Abigail stood and fired at one of the snipers as Gunn aimed over the front of the truck at the other. Zeus tore off through the snowy courtyard and bodily slammed into the front door, rolling inside. Tartarus and Epione were next in their team, with Riley and Apollo bringing up the rear.

"Like I never left," Apollo mused, slamming the door closed behind him. Riley pulled a plasma torch from his backpack, and welded the door shut to prevent people attacking from behind.

"Zeus, there's no one here." Epione said cautiously.

She was correct. The entrance lobby was empty, as if abandoned. There was no sign anyone had been here for a long time. Zeus rose his rifle and stepped forward.

"We have a job to do, Olympus. Roll out."