Chapter 52

Jungkook looks at you both with fear in his eyes. You realise what he must be thinking right now, seeing you and Jimin together alone, having arranged a meeting which he didn't know about. Jimin is stunned into silence and you need to act fast.

"Jungkook it's not what you think," you say hastily.

"And what do I think this is, Noona?" he asks, almost challenging you to admit something that isn't true. "You didn't answer my texts last night, you're here meeting Jimin hyung alone and you're crying about hurting someone." Jungkook is shaking with frustration and you've never seen him lose his composure like this before. Eventually Jimin says something. "Jungkook-ah, please sit down, I'll explain."

But Jungkook doesn't move. "No, I don't want to sit down, I can't believe you came after her, Jimin hyung. I knew this would happen. You can have anyone, why go for Noona?"
With that, he storms out, not letting either of you explain what he just saw.

"Jungkook, wait," you call out and stand up to go after him, but Jimin holds you back.

"Leave him, noona. You going after him will just make things harder later on," he says.

You look at Jimin, eyes still damp, trying to decide whether you should follow his advice. On the one hand he's right, but you know Jungkook and your instinct tells you that you should go after him. "Sorry Jimin, but I can't leave him like this. I think it's best if you go back to the house. I'll sort this out."

You leave Jimin without a second thought and jog out onto the street looking for Jungkook. You try calling him on the phone, but it goes straight to voicemail. You rack your brains wondering where he might have gone. You know that he won't go back home or to his hyungs' house. Then you spot a familiar building and a thought occurs to you. You jog to cross the road and head towards the main entrance of the museum, taking a left onto a side road. You stand in front of the Korean restaurant, hoping he's inside. You walk in and look around, hoping to see Jungkook, but he's not there. Feeling disheartened, you turn to leave when someone calls out, "He's in the kitchen."

You turn around and see the owner pointing to where it is. You thank him and walk as directed. You see Jungkook sitting on a stool in the corner, peeling potatoes, while the other staff are busy cooking around him. You approach him quietly so as not to draw attention to the two of you. You can see him wiping his eyes every now and then. "Nobody's gonna want damp chips JK," you say and he turns around, surprised.

 "Nobody's gonna want damp chips JK," you say and he turns around, surprised

"Noona! How did you know I was here?" he asks.

"Because I know you, JK, I know how you think, I know how you feel, I know what gives you solace. Any place that has food," you joke, trying to draw a smile out of him. It is breaking your heart to see him this distraught over a misunderstanding. He sighs, not knowing what to say, probably a bit embarrassed. "Is there anywhere we can talk in private?" you ask. He nods and leads you through the back into a small courtyard. You both sit on a bench and you take his hands. He speaks first. "Noona, I know I over-reacted back there. I know that there's nothing going on between you and Jimin hyung. I don't know why, but when I saw you two together and you crying, my brain stopped working and my heart took over."

You reply sympathetically, "You don't need to apologise. The strain of the last few days must have finally caught up with you. What with the pressure of the performance, the unexpected news of the tour, the uncertainty of our future, Jin telling you to break up with me, now seeing me alone with Jimin. I'm almost judging you for not reacting like this sooner!" You stroke his face and continue, "You have not stopped at all and had to bear a lot on your own. Even though you try to show me you're fine, I always worry about you. What do I do with you, eh?" You're stroking his hair now.

He replies, "You're probably right. The thought of not seeing you makes it hard for me to breathe. I think I used the sight of you and Jimin hyung together as an excuse to express my frustration. I'm sorry. I feel so bad that I didn't even ask you why you were crying."

"That's not important, I was just sad remembering that you will be leaving for Seoul soon with that other guys," you say dismissively.

"But, why did you meet with Jimin hyung in the first place?" he asks.

"Oh, Jimin was just worried about you and wanted to speak to me about it." you reply. You don't think it's a good idea to repeat to Jungkook what Jimin actually said. You don't want to disrupt their long-standing relationship, which will still need to be there for BTS to carry on.

"Do you think he knows about us?" Jungkook persists.

You shrug your shoulders in response, not wanting to upset Jungkook. You realise that now is the time to tell him what you've been putting off so far. You hold his hands again and look at him intently. "JK, you're leaving for Seoul and then going on a world tour, which will last months. I think it will be too painful for us in the long-run if we keep seeing each other." Jungkook stares at you, shaking his head, but you grip his hands tighter and continue, even though your voice is cracking, "We knew this wouldn't last forever and we, no I, was foolish to think I deserved to be with someone as amazing as you. I will always here for you regardless...." Jungkook doesn't let you finish and lets go of your hands.

"No, no, no, absolutely not, Noona. We are not ending it like this. You're talking nonsense. What do you mean, you don't deserve me? Do you still not realise that I know you are way out of my league? You may think Jimin, Jin and the others are just trying to protect me, but trust me, I've seen the way some of them look at you. And talk about you. You leave quite an impression on men and you don't even realise." he tirades, but doesn't stop. "We are so good together, we are meant to be, I'm sure of it. It can't end like this."

You work hard to fight back the tears, as does Jungkook, but you know you have to stay strong. You stand up and say, "JK, it will be too hard on me to see you go. Please. Let's just say 'good-bye' here. Don't call me or text me, I won't reply. I don't want to hurt you and your future."
With that you leave Jungkook staring at you dumbfounded, and exit the restaurant, hailing the first cab you see. You don't want him to follow you, so you call Layla and say that you will be staying at hers for the night.