FOURTEEN: Little Black Dress

Briley's POV

    I look back in the mirror again as I wait anxiously for the boys to arrive. I run my hands over my skin tight, silk black dress and wonder if it's too much. I shake my head and decide it's fine; I'm hot, and life is too short to worry about standing out too much. Besides, Aunty S always told me it's better to be overdressed than underdressed.

    I'm so excited to be going out tonight. The boys left this morning for the studio and I've spent all day getting ready. I've been ready for hours now, just hanging out and waiting for them to come pick me up. I check my phone again just as I get a text from Harry.

    "Almost there, princess" 

    I smile and feel a jolt of excitement run through me. I spray a bit of perfume on me and grab my purse, then make my way downstairs. Just as I come all the way down the stairs, the front door opens and Harry smiles at me. He looks at me for a second, then comes over, takes my hand, and looks me up and down as he gives me a twirl.

    "Beautiful." he says. I smile.

    "Too much?" I ask. He shakes his head and keeps looking over me.

    "Not at all." he assures me.

    "Not enough?" I ask. He smiles.

    "Perfect." he says. 

    "Thank you." I respond quietly. He kisses me quickly, then leads me to the car. When I get in, Louis looks up from his phone.

    "Woah! Someone is looking awfully dapper tonight!" he says. I laugh.

    "Haven't you heard? I'm the life of the party. Gotta look the part!" I joke. Louis laughs too.

    "Well you look incredible, darling." he says.

    "Thanks. Is Eleanor coming?" I ask. He looks back at his phone.

    "Yeah, we're picking her up next and then we'll be on our way." he says. He sounds sort of enthusiastic about the fact that she's coming, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about what Harry told me last night. I hope Louis has a good time tonight. I hope tonight is more than publicity to him. Harry wraps an arm around me and kisses my temple.

    "I love this dress." Harry whispers to me. I look down at my dress, then back up at him.

    "Thanks. My aunt gave it to me as a graduation present. I haven't had a good reason to wear it until now." I explain quietly. He smirks and runs his finger ever so gently across the thin black strap on my shoulder.

    "Radiant." he whispers. I blush a little and we all sit in silence for the next couple of minutes until we arrive at Eleanor's apartment: Harry staring at me, Louis staring at his phone, and me staring out the window as London passes by. When we finally pull up to Eleanor's apartment building, Louis steps out of the car and calls her. I look back at Harry.

    "How was he today? Is he okay?" I ask him. Harry watches Louis as he waits outside for Eleanor. Harry half smiles.

    "He's at least doing a really good job of pretending like it. I think he's okay. He hasn't really mentioned it today. It's been a while since they've seen each other, so for all I know, he could actually be excited. We'll see, I guess." Harry tells me. I look back to Louis and see a model-esque girl with long brown hair and a pretty smile walk up and hug him tightly. He kisses her cheek, then escorts her into the car.

    "Harry, it's so good to see you again! How has everything been?" she asks Harry, smiling as she sits across from us. Harry keeps his arm around me.