THIRTY-THREE: Secrets That I Keep

TW: su*cidal thoughts, drug abuse, addiction, alcoholism, grief/loss

Briley's POV

    "Well, what do you think?" my mom asks, walking out of her closet wearing a beautiful black dress, black heels, and a sparkly necklace. I gasp.

    "Oh my god! Give me a twirl!" I respond. She twirls and leans against the doorframe. "Oh my god! You look beautiful, mom!" I say, hugging her. She laughs.

    "Thanks, honey."

    "Who are you and dad going out with?" I ask, pulling away and sitting back down on the foot of her bed while she puts on some earrings and perfume.

    "The Rizzolis." she says. My face falls a little and I don't say anything. "They're still family friends, Briley. Whether you and Kyle broke up or not." she says.

    "I know, I know. It's just weird to think about." I reply. She sprays her perfume on, then sets it back down on her dresser and turns to me.

    "You know, you really should reach out to Kyle. You two were best friends for so long and according to his parents he really misses you and feels bad for how things turned out." my mom tells me. I look at the wall.

    "I don't want to talk to him. I'm so different now. He misses someone who doesn't exist anymore." I explain. My mom nods and grabs her purse.

    "Alright, well just think about it. We're going to dinner, then out dancing. I'll make sure to give you a heads up when we're on our way back." she says winking at me as I follow her out her bedroom door. I blush and roll my eyes.

    "Mom, stop insinuating." I tell her.

    "Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I don't mean to embarrass you." she says, turning around to face me at the top of the stairs. "Just whatever you do, be safe, okay? Use protection." she says quietly.

    "Oh my god!"

    "I just want to make sure you're doing it safely!"

    "Okay! Mom, I know about condoms and unwanted pregnancies and pulling out and all that stuff, okay? I'll be safe. Now please go have a nice time with my ex's parents and forget I exist for the night." I reply quickly, pushing her gently down the stairs and to the front door. She turns around and smiles at me.

    "Okay. I love you. Lock the door." she says. I hug her again.

    "I will. I love you too." I reply. She walks out the front door to my dad who is waiting for her in the car. I watch and wave as they drive off, then shut the door and lock it. I turn around and see Harry standing right behind me, as still and quiet as a statue. I jump at first, then close my eyes and take a deep breath. He laughs and hugs me.

    "Sorry, princess." he says. I hug him back.

    "That's okay. Payback for all the times I've done it to you." I reply. He rubs my back and I close my eyes, melting a little bit in his arms. I breathe in his scent. "You smell good." I mumble.

    "Thank you." he says quietly. He holds onto me for another minute or two, then leans down and kisses me slowly and gently. I start feeling more and more love drunk with every passing minute. When he finally pulls away, I feel totally entranced. I grin up at him and blink slow. "You're so beautiful." he tells me quietly, stroking my cheek. I lean into his hand and close my eyes, humming happily. When I open my eyes, I see him smiling back at me. "Okay, come on." he whispers quietly, picking me up princess style and taking me upstairs.

    When we get to my room, he shuts the door and sets me gently on my bed. He crawls on top of me and kisses me lightly. He drags his fingertips ever so gently across my ribcage, making me shiver a little. Every movement he makes is so gentle and slow and I feel so calm and safe. He puts his hand under me and slowly takes off my shirt. I arch my back and breathe in as he breaks the kiss momentarily. He tosses my shirt aside and presses gentle kisses across my collarbones. I close my eyes and run my hands through his hair.