Chapter Thirty Five

~Toya's POV~

"Who the hell is this? She looks like she'll be annoying." Shigaraki growled as he looked down at his phone.

Normally I'd let him go on an on and ignore him, but the psycho looked over his shoulder at the small screen in his hands. Her golden eyes grew wide for a moment before flicking in my direction. Something about that unsettled me. Sighing, I moved over to see what they were looking at. It appeared to be a video shot from someone's phone. Some not so organized thugs hopped out of a van and opened fire on All Might in the middle of a street. I spotted Shoto in the background being ushered to safety. Most startling of all was my mother was present.

I watched in awe as Mel's body dropped to the ground though no bullet had touched her. A somewhat terrifying ghostly version of herself flew from her corpse. Her long dark hair appeared to be dripping wet and her eyes were glowing violet as a wicked scythe appeared in her hands. I couldn't hear anything she said as the person filming was too far from the action. She made quick work of the unorganized thugs, using her scythe to ricochet their bullets back to them. She was amazing!

"A new hero?" Big Sis Magne pondered.

"I don't know. Why is she protecting All Might?" Shigaraki growled, annoyed.

I glanced over at Toga as she watched the screen and noticed a flicker of fear in her gaze as she watched my mother mercilessly beat the idiots with guns to a pulp. The video was impressive but it didn't warrant such a reaction from the psycho teen. A frown crossed my face as I remembered a few nights ago she'd stolen my jacket and disappeared. Had she gone to visit Mel as me? Did she know the truth? Did she hurt her? I had to wait and find the right time to sneak away and check on my mom and make sure nothing had happened to her in my absence.

I got my chance late in the evening a few nights later. There was a brisk chill in the air as I snuck back to the house, I'd grown up in with Mel's sketchbook tucked under my arm. I'd spent hours looking over each and every one of her lifelike sketches. The streets were empty, it was late. Would she even be awake at this hour? I really wanted to see her and would be devastated if she were asleep.

I wasn't sure if my dad or Rei were home and scaled the fence at one of the camera's blind spots. The sound of cheesy music met my ears, it sounded like someone was playing music way too loud outside. No way dad was home and allowing that to happen. I peered into the Rock Garden and was surprised to see what looked like a small private hot spring. Had that always been there, it looked like one of the big rocks was hollow and fake and had been covering it and was now moved to the side.

Rei and Dad were relaxing comfortably in the steaming water. Rei must have returned home when Mom did. They looked like they were waiting on someone but didn't seem awkward or uncomfortable in each other's presence. I'd never seen them in the same room without someone having a breakdown or setting something ablaze. They looked perfectly at ease with one another and appeared to be talking normally. No one was screaming or crying, they were just having a conversation. Rei let out a laugh as if Dad had said something funny and I frowned. That didn't seem right.

Did I hit my head on the way here? Maybe I never made it back home and this was some kind of concussed delusion. Mel appeared on the patio wearing a black bikini with little vampire bunnies on it and a ridiculously oversized black sunhat as if she thought the moon would burn her fair skin. She took one look at Enji and Rei in the hot spring and smiled adoringly. Her smile suddenly shifted to a mischievous one as she was struck with an idea.

I watched in awe as she took off at a run and canon balled into the hot spring. There was a surprisingly large splash for her tiny frame and steaming water sloshed EVERYWHERE. I was too shocked to be impressed with her form. There was no way this was happening. I had to be concussed, brain damaged or in a coma somewhere.