Chapter Eight

A/N: Toshinori's exact age hasn't been revealed I think he's technically maybe older than Endeavor (though I made it different in Married to the Symbol of Peace lol for funsies so ignore that), I'm going to make him a third year while they're first years, for giggles

Enji- 15

Mel-14

Toshinori-17/18 ish

~Mel's POV~

Over the next few months, Enji seemed to really focus and get serious about his training. He spent nearly all of his free time lifting weights, practicing with his quirk and doing endurance runs. We didn't spend a lot of time together after he'd taken me to the hospital, he was busy with training. I knew his parents wanted him to have nothing to do with me, they'd made it abundantly clear. There was a lingering cloud of self-loathing in the back of my mind that thought he was avoiding me intentionally because of them and an even darker cloud of self-loathing that thought he felt the same way about me as everyone else did. He knew, now...what everyone said was true...I was a whore. The dark loathsome thoughts began to creep into my mind filling me with doubt and hatred.

An icy breeze swept past me as I slowly trudged down the path leading to UA. It was the first day of school. Enji and I hadn't talked at all about the future and part of me wondered if he'd been planning on just forgetting about me after we graduated from middle school. I pulled the grey jacket of my uniform closed a little tighter to try to keep warm in the morning chill. There were a few other first years, like myself, scrambling to the main building to find their classes and some slightly more relaxed second years and some helpful third years trying to point people in the right direction.

"Good morning hopeful young first year." A loud jovial voice sounded from behind me nearly startling me out of my skin, I spun around to find a boy a few years older than myself with a blinding smile, bright blue eyes and glittering golden blonde hair wearing a UA uniform. He was too radiant, it hurt my eyes to look directly at him. How could someone be so chipper so early? This guy wasn't human.

I glanced around to make sure he wasn't addressing anyone else, but no one else was around, I'd fallen a little behind in my self-depreciating thoughts. Realizing he was talking to me I mumbled in response, "Good Morning."

He extended his hand to me in greeting, "Welcome to UA, my name is Toshinori Yagi." His smile never faltered. Maybe he was some kind of robot that greeted people.

I reluctantly accepted his hand, "Meliara Black." His hand was warm and fleshy, not a robot.

"Oh, an American." He beamed even brighter, I was starting to worry he might break if he smiled anymore. It made my face hurt just looking at him. "I've always been fascinated with America and American Culture."

"That's...unique...I guess I could try to answer any questions you have about it and I might have some old pictures from vacations to the cliché landmarks and stuff..."

His face lit up even more, his smile might break his face. "That would be great! Thank you, young Meliara."

I sighed, "You can just call me Mel, if you want."

Toshinori's smile never wavered as he geeked out about American Culture and asked me a ton of random question as he showed me around campus and helped me find my shoe locker. He was a little bit of a fanboy and the never-ending smile was somewhat creepy but he was nice and was willing to talk to me. I hoped none of the rumors from my old school would follow me to UA and I could start fresh, talking with Toshinori was giving me hope, that was a possibility.