Chapter Twenty Nine

~Mel's POV~

Saturday morning, I stumbled into the kitchen stifling a yawn. I needed to hurry up and let Enji and Rei off the hook if I ever expected to get a decent night of sleep. Rei was in the kitchen making breakfast with a small smile on her face. I noticed Shoto, Fuyumi and Natsuo in the dining room all looking a little nostalgic and happy. Though Shoto was living in the dorms at school he came home for the weekends. I had a feeling Enji was sulking somewhere nearby not wanting to interrupt their happy moment and decided to test my theory. He was probably somewhere he could watch over everyone.

I skipped into the kitchen and snaked my arms around Rei's waist, hugging her from behind. She jumped startled by my sudden appearance before turning to look over her shoulder at me with a smile, "what's this all of a sudden?"

"I just wanted a good morning kiss." I smiled innocently and brushed my lips to hers.

"M-Mel!" Enji's voice sounded from the pantry causing Rei to laugh and the kids to stare in our direction in awe. Fuyumi was giggling, Shoto looked morose and unphased and Natsuo looked like he was in a state of shock at what he'd just witnessed.

"Always up to mischief." Rei giggled as Enji burst out of the pantry as if it were completely normal for him to be in there.

"Do you always creep on the family in there?" I asked him with a smile.

"What?!" His face reddened, "I was just getting some ingredients! Don't assume weird things."

"Yet you returned empty handed?" I mused.

He shot me a warning look.

I giggled and retreated to the dining room. I claimed the seat next to Shoto and ruffled his hair affectionately, "why so glum, shark chum?"

Rei and Fuyumi laughed at my odd choice of words. Enji was shaking his head at me. Natsuo lost it and slumped over in a hysterical fit of laughter.

Shoto looked over at me curiously, "Aunt Mel, are you alright in the head?"

"Probably not." I shrugged before poking at his cheeks, "so, what's bothering you?"

"Currently your mental well-being." He frowned.

"Lies!" I cried dramatically and poked at his sides managing to find a ticklish spot that caused him to jump away from me, "I advise you tell me what is upsetting you or I will resort to violent tickling."

"That sounds awful." Shoto sighed, "I failed the provisional hero license exam." He admitted softly.

"Oh, is that all?" I smiled and gently ruffled his hair, "don't beat yourself up over it, you can retake it again and we can all help you practice. What do you think you need to work on?"

He frowned and thought about it for a moment, "people skills?"

"Best not to ask Dad for help." Natsuo pointed.

"Natsuo!" Fuyumi scolded her younger brother as I cackled.

"Well that's easy." I beamed.

"It is?" Shoto looked to me warily.

"Yep! Just spend the day with me and you'll learn all the patience you'll ever need to be able to handle people." I grinned.

"That's the truth." Enji huffed.

Shoto looked to my bright smile and sighed, "do I have a choice?"