Chapter Three

~Enji's POV~

After a few months, I still didn't know much about the new transfer student though I sat with her at lunch every day. She never ate lunch, she always spent her lunch break drawing or napping and would only speak to me when we were alone in the room but even then, she was quiet. The school year was drawing to a close and I still had no idea where she was planning to attend high school or anything about her personal life.

After one of my nightly training sessions, I went for a run as I often did leaving our fancy estate to run around the city. There was a chill in the air as I jogged through the city and I grimaced in annoyance as it began to rain. As I was passing by an alleyway, I thought I saw Meliara out of the corner of my eye and skidded to a stop. I looked down the alley and felt my heart stutter in my chest as I saw her wearing a maid's costume throwing out some trash. What the hell was she doing?

I headed down the alley and noticed the place she was carrying trash out of was some kind of restaurant. "What the hell are you doing?" I growled causing her to jump and nearly lose her hold on the trash bags in her hand.

She spun around and a faint splash of pink stained her cheeks as she spotted me, "Enji-kun, what are you doing here?"

"I asked you first." I glared, "Students aren't permitted to have jobs."

She rolled her blue green eyes at this as she tossed the bags into a nearby dumpster. "Sorry, some of us need jobs to survive."

"What do you mean?" I asked with a frown. "Isn't your uncle able to take care of you?"

Her hands balled into fists at the mention of her uncle and a dark look of pure loathing crossed her face. "I live on my own."

"What?! You're thirteen!"

"Correction, I turned fourteen today." She smirked.

"That changes nothing!" I snarled before realization of what she'd just said hit me. "It's your birthday?"

"Yep."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

She laughed at this returning to her normal self, "What for?"

"I don't know! I could have done something." I snapped at her as my face burned.

"Why?" She giggled as she took a step closer to me with a sly smile, "Do you like me, Enji-kun?"

My heart raced at this and I felt my skin beginning to redden. "Don't be r-ridiculous."

Her smile turned mischievous as she took another step closer. I took a hurried step back and she giggled again, her lyrical laughter filling the dark dreary alley. "If you were so concerned about it, maybe you should have asked me when it was." She teased me.

"Why don't you live with your uncle?" I sighed trying to catch her off guard and get her to stop advancing on me in such a lewd costume.

"We didn't see eye to eye." She shrugged trying to seem nonchalant and unaffected as always but after spending so much time with her, I was starting to be able to read her better. There was something in her eyes that said the topic was off limits.

"So, what is this place?" I sighed as I indicated the restaurant.

"It's a maid café."

"That seems like a terrible place for a young girl to work." I frowned as I looked to the tight maid dress with the puffed-out skirt.