Chapter Twenty

Toya- Age 22

Fuyumi- Age 21

Natsuo- Age 17

Shoto- Age 14

Enji- Age 43

Rei- Age 43

~Enji's POV~

I rushed to the agency once I'd gotten the alert on my phone that the fire alarms had gone off, I had to protect Mel's body. By the time I arrived, the fire was under control. It had been a small fire in the bathroom in the lobby.

"Ah, Endeavor, sir, we're sorry, we don't know what happened." The two incompetent security guards I had positioned in the lobby dropped into apologetic bows.

I ignored them and headed for the basement. As I drew deeper into the basement heading toward Mel's room, I noticed scorch marks along the walls. Someone had come down here. My heart started to race in my chest, was Mel okay?

"MEL!" I broke into a run. The door that led to the hall where her room was had been broken into, the doorknob had been completely burned away.

No.

Someone found my weakness.

"MEL!" I ducked down the hall running as fast as I could to her room.

As I reached the end of the hall, I breathed a sigh of relief as I spotted her untouched in her temperature-controlled glass coffin. Placing my hand on the biometric hand scanner, the glass door slid open. A shiver rolled down my spine as I stepped into the freezing room. Nothing was out of place. My heart beat slowed as I calmed down now that I was sure she was alright.

It had been awhile since I'd come down here to visit her. Sighing, I placed my hand atop her coffin and looked down at her pale corpse. I leaned forward pressing my head against the cool glass coffin and closed my eyes trying to remember the sound of her voice and her lyrical laughter. Tears welled in my eyes.

"Come back." I whispered as I slumped against the glass coffin feeling a swell of emotion inside of me threatening to boil over. Consumed by grief and agony I closed my eyes praying I'd wake from this nightmare.

"Enji!" Mel's voice woke me out of a dead sleep. I sat upright and looked about the room wildly, I had no idea what time it was or what was wrong. Blinking a few times, I spotted Mel sitting on the floor next to the bed in an oversized black t-shirt littered with cute animated skulls. Toya was sitting on the floor in front of her giggling.

"What is it?" I asked with a yawn as I realized there wasn't any danger.

"Look! He's sitting up by himself!" Mel squealed.

"Hasn't he been doing that for a while?" I pondered.

Mel turned to me with a scowl, "well, yes, but look how cute he is when he does it." She grinned as she tickled the infant's feet causing him to squeal with laughter.

"Did I need to be woken up for this?" I asked her with a smirk as I moved to sit on the edge of the bed.

"Toya, can you say asshole?" Mel asked in her baby talk voice.

"Mel!"

She giggled as she scooped Toya into her arms, "say, asshole."