Chapter Eleven

~Enji's POV~

During our lunch break, Recovery Girl showed up to patch everyone up. Mel slumped against me, drifting into a deep sleep after Recovery Girl treated her wounds. The look of pure terror on her face when I'd first found her kept flashing through my mind. I knew she didn't like the dark and though she hadn't told me the reason, I remembered her flailing fever dream and I had a suspicion it had something to do with what happened with her uncle.

"Hey." I growled softly giving her petite frame a gentle shake trying to rouse her from her slumber, "you need to eat something."

Her thin arms entwined around my neck and I felt my face grow hot as she snuggled closer to me in her sleep. "...warm..." a soft dreamy smile spread across her lips as she sighed in her sleep.

"Mel, you shouldn't skip meals." I grumbled back trying to shake her again.

"Five more minutes." She mumbled under her breath as she stubbornly clung to me.

I sighed. There was still a slight tremor in her body. She was shaken up by what had happened. Before I could say anything more, Flashbolt appeared before me and looked down at the sleeping girl in my arms.

"Miss Black?"

Mel groaned and slowly lifted her head turning her bright blue green eyes in his direction, they looked more blue than green at the moment. "What?" She sighed.

"Are you well enough to continue?" He asked, his tone was gruff but there was concern in his dull golden eyes.

Mel nodded.

"Are you certain?" He asked again.

"Yes." Mel replied softly.

"Very well, I have a comment." He frowned, "You're not going to like it."

Mel rolled her eyes and all of our classmates turned curiously to listen in. "Like that's going to stop you."

"Are you sure this is the right path for you, if you can't handle this much without breaking down, how do you expect to be a hero? Heroes go up against much more vile villains than what any of your peers were pretending to be."

I clenched my fists at his words.

"If you get captured in the real world, by real villains, are you just going to sit there and cry about it?" Flashbolt continued on harshly.

"It's not something she'll ever have to worry about." I growled startling Mel and everyone else.

She looked up at me curiously, "What?"

"You can be my partner...and I'll never let anything bad happen to you." I said simply.

Flashbolt chuckled at this, "I'd say that's a ridiculous way of thinking but after what I just witnessed, perhaps you could succeed at that Todoroki." His gaze flicked back to Mel, "but would you be happy with that, Miss Black?"

Mel shook her head. "No." Her voice was morose.

Flashbolt nodded, "I didn't think so."

I opened my mouth ready to lash out at him but Mel cut me off with a single look. "He's right, Enji...it's just something I need to overcome." She shrugged.

The annoying blonde joined the conversation, "I still think the villains went a little overboard."

"I don't. They were acting like villains." Flashbolt shrugged unsympathetically. "You all have ten minutes left to finish your lunches, then we shall resume." He turned and walked away.