Chapter Seventeen

~Mel's POV~

The day of finals, my stomach was tying itself into unpleasant knots. I was more nervous for Enji's final than my own. During our weekend adventure to the waterpark, Flashbolt told me he wanted me to help him with Enji's final. I agreed a little reluctantly before he'd told me what he had planned and regretted it instantly once he told me what I'd be doing.

On my way to school, the day of the final I spotted a suspicious looking man wearing a fancy dark suit. He had a strange metal helmet covering his face and looked to be watching the entrance intently. I turned to the entrance and spotted Toshinori talking to his mentor, Nana Shimura. We'd met a few times, she seemed nice, a little eccentric but nice. Was he watching them?

"Can I help you?" I approached the man warily but he seemed to vanish in an instant. I hurriedly scanned the surrounding area but I saw no sign of him.

Uneasily I darted across the street toward the entrance. Toshinori looked up as I sprinted toward him. He smiled brightly and lifted me off my feet in a bone crushing hug.

"Ah!" I squealed in surprise, "W-what are you doing?!"

"Mel! The most exciting news!" Toshinori grinned as he continued to squeeze me keeping my arms pinned at my sides making it hard for me to flail my way out of his hold.

"Ow. Can't. Breathe. Too. Strong." I choked.

"Ah! Sorry." Toshinori smiled bashfully as he gently set me on my feet, keeping a hand on my shoulder to steady me. "I'm going to get to visit America." He grinned.

"That's nice, Boy Scout Senpai." I unconsciously rubbed my arms where he'd squeezed them too tight. "Try not to do anything lame like name all your attacks after cities you visit." I rolled my eyes.

"That's a great idea!" Toshinori said with stars in his eyes causing his mentor to chuckle.

Nana smiled and placed a hand atop my head, "you looked like you were in hurry, little Mel, what was the rush about?"

"Oh, right. I saw a strange man across the street, but he vanished when I approached him." I frowned.

Toshinori and his mentor both tensed and scanned the surrounding area. "What did he look like?" Nana asked me, her smile starting to falter.

They both seemed on edge, "he was wearing a fancy suit, and had some weird metal mask that covered up most of his face, so I didn't get a really good lo-." I paused as I saw the color drain from their faces. "Everything okay?" I frowned.

Nana offered me a strained smile, "Toshinori, get little Mel to class."

"But-."

"Go." She turned on her heel and went to investigate the area I'd seen the man.

Toshinori frowned. He looked worried. I was starting to feel anxious. Was he a bad guy? A scary bad guy? Sensing my anxiousness, Toshinori offered me a bright heartwarming smile. "Not to worry, Mel, you're safe with me." He swept me up with one arm.

"Ah!" I threw my arms around his neck to keep from toppling out of his hold, "I wasn't worried until you started to worry, Boy Scout. What's going on?"

Toshinori smiled again but it looked a little strained, "why don't you let Shimura-sensei worry about that for now. Ready for finals?" He was trying to take my mind off of it, he didn't want me to question him anymore because he hated lying.