Chapter Twenty Three

Toya- Age 24

~Toya's POV~

A few weeks after the fiasco in which The League of Villains were almost caught, I left our temporary shack of a hideout with the psycho, Himiko Toga. She was an insane high school girl with blonde hair and bright yellow eyes. We were supposed to be finding supplies. Since our base of operations had been destroyed, we were living like beggars. It was frustrating.

"Oh." Toga's gaze was drawn away toward a small convenience store on the corner of the street. "She looks tasty."

I followed her gaze grimacing at her choice in words, due to her quirk if she drank someone's blood, she could transform into an exact likeness of them. My heart stuttered in my chest as I spotted a very corpselike woman with long raven hair and deep blue green eyes exiting the store with great difficulty. Her eyes were filled with tears. I could see a hospital wristband on one of her wrist's a cast on the other and bandages on the inner crooks of her arms and the back of her hand covering what I was sure could only have been where IV's had been. I was certain, it was Mel...my mother, she was alive, somehow and didn't look a day over twenty two. The clothes she was wearing didn't appear to fit her and were definitely not the usual goth style I'd seen her in, in pictures.

"I think I'm going to play with her." Himiko grinned and made a move to cross the street.

I clapped a hand down on her shoulder, "touch her and die, psycho." I hissed icily. Her bright yellow eyes grew wide. "We're parting ways for now, go be useful." I waved her away with a glare before crossing the street.

Mel appeared to be struggling to stand and carry whatever she'd purchased. She staggered out of the convenience store trying, with great difficulty, to lift her bag of purchases. I reached out and caught her as she nearly toppled over. A gasp escaped her as I steadied her with one hand and caught her bag with the other.

"Need a hand?" I offered her a smile as my heart raced in my chest.

Her tear filled deep blue green eyes flicked upward to meet my gaze. "Ah...I'm really sorry." She paused and stared up into my eyes for a long moment before shaking her head and letting out a groan, "Ugh! Sorry, I'm being weird, I didn't mean to stare, I promise." She rambled adorably looking like she was on the verge of some kind of mental breakdown. Thanks to the patchwork mottled flesh and my dyed hair I was confident she wouldn't be able to recognize me. The last time she'd seen me I'd been an infant.

"It's alright." I steered her over to a nearby bench as she looked like she might collapse at any moment. She was really weak. Probably from being a preserved corpse for so long. I had no idea how exactly that worked. I had a million questions for her, but they could all wait. I wanted to make sure she was alright first, she didn't look good. "Should I call someone for you? You don't look too good." I offered trying to determine if my father was with her.

"No. It's okay. I'm sure they'll find me eventually anyway." She grumbled bitterly as she sank down on the bench.

"It doesn't sound like you want them to...whoever they are." I pointed as I sat beside her and set the bag down next to her. I looked down curiously to see what she had purchased and held back a smile as I saw the bag was full of packaged donuts and a tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream. It was my favorite flavor of ice cream. As if I needed more evidence that she was my biological mother.

"...my husband...and...well it's complicated..." She sighed before offering me a smile, "thank you, for helping me, I'm sorry for troubling you, you should probably run now before I freak you out and regurgitate all of my crazy onto you." Definitely on the verge of a psychotic break.