Chapter Six

~Meliara's POV~

Enji's father was a terrifying man who looked and sounded more like a mobster than the CEO of a global conglomerate. His parents scared me, even in my ghost form where I was invisible and had the ability to phase through things. I stayed invisible and clung to Enji's arm the entire limo ride, holding my breath the whole way. It all made sense now, why he tried so hard to be perfect and was such a stickler for rules and such, his parents were awful! He'd been right, the conversations didn't improve, neither of his parents liked me very much, they thought I was trouble.

By the time we reached our destination, my self-esteem had reached an all time low. I'd been bullied by kids my own age all my life, but it was different when adults belittled me, especially parental figures. They made me feel worthless. I trudged after Enji trying my best to keep from crying. Not paying attention to where I was going, I ended up walking right off the glamorous wooden bridge over the giant koi pond surrounding the expensive looking matchmaking meeting hall. I managed not to let out a yell as I fell into the pond, creating a large splash startling the entire Todoroki family. Luckily, I managed to stay invisible and dolefully floated out of the pond.

"That must have been a big fish." Mrs. Todoroki commented as she looked to the water that had splashed onto the wooden bridge behind them.

Enji looked around warily trying to see any sign of where I'd gone and I felt my body burn with embarrassment, he knew it was me. Maybe I could convince him later that it was intentional and I cannon balled into the water rather than a result of my depressed moping and not paying attention to where I was going. I became incorporeal so I wouldn't drip water everywhere and floated along behind Enji. My hand phased through his shoulder to let him know I was still there and a shiver rolled down his spine at the sudden chill from my ghostly touch.

We followed his parents across the fancy wooden walkway to the meeting hall. There were already a few parents with their teenage daughters in the waiting room. This was like a fucked up archaic version of the bachelor. The other parents, not being as wealthy as the Todoroki family were falling all over themselves trying to kiss ass, like people acted sometimes when they met celebrities. It was embarrassing to watch.

All the girls were pretty and had their faces painted in high end makeup, I could tell none of them used the same dollar brand charcoal I used to line my eyes with. They were all wearing pretty pink dresses looking like glammed up barbies. Enji looked like he was trying hard not to grimace. I'd never really noticed if he had a type, I didn't see him express interest in any of the girls at our school, he was too busy being number one at everything and spending his time watching over me. He'd been enraged after he found out Riku Todashi had tried to proposition me to be his personal whore the day he'd come to my rescue. After that day he'd made it his personal mission to make sure no one bothered me at school.

None of the girls looked like they minded being here, they were all playing out some fantasy of being a rich princess. The world of rich people was so backwards. I found it disturbing that none of them seemed to have an issue with the idea of an arranged marriage. It was like, I'd found myself in a completely different world where no one cared about anyone's rights. Marriage wasn't a thing of love for them, it was a business deal.

My stomach tied itself into knots, I didn't like this place. It was where dreams and love came to die. I shivered involuntarily at this thought. Enji was looking around curiously trying not to be obvious. Did he want me to start ghosting? I shrugged and flew over to a nearby plant and began rustling the leaves. Everyone in the waiting room turned and looked at the plant before glancing upward. I followed their gaze and groaned inwardly as I noticed an air vent overhead, it wasn't blowing air but they all wrote it off as the vent and ignored me.