Chapter Thirty One

~Mel's POV~

Natsuo came home just after midnight and seemed surprised to find me laying on the porch. It had gotten a little chilly in the middle of the night but I was too chicken to go inside by myself. Instead, I endured the cold. His steel grey eyes filled with concern, "Aunt Mel, you okay?"

I nearly jumped as he snuck up on me and scrambled to my feet. "Hey, how was your date?!" I beamed.

Natsuo frowned, "how long have you been sitting out here?"

"Doesn't matter." I hooked my arm in his and ushered him into the house, "how did the date go?"

"It was really fun. She wants to go out again next weekend." He beamed.

"I'd say that's a success then." I smiled. "So, what are our plans for today since it is now officially Saturday?"

"Ah, I was actually going to ask you if it would be alright if I went to a party with some of my friends later tonight." He smiled bashfully.

"Oh...what kind of party?" I frowned.

"Just a typical college party."

"Drugs, sex and alcohol?" I pondered, I assumed they hadn't changed much in the time I'd been dead.

"Probably just the alcohol." He admitted sheepishly.

"Unless things changed while I was dead, the legal drinking age is 20." I pointed, Natsuo was only 19.

"Still the same." He sighed.

"Were you planning on drinking at this party?" I asked him curiously.

He hesitated before giving in with a sigh, "not a lot."

I frowned and thought about it for a moment. It's not like I could stop them from partying, they'd find a way to do it. "May I suggest an alternative?"

Natsuo looked surprised by my response, "I'm listening."

"Have the party here, that way I can make sure everyone has a safe ride home and no one is drinking and driving." I suggested.

"And when Dad finds out?" Natsuo blanched.

"He won't." I smiled.

"You say that...but what happens when he finds out?"

I rolled my eyes, "if he finds out, I'll deal with it."

"You sure about this?"

"Yep." I beamed.

"I'm in." Natsuo grinned.

We both headed to bed after that. I had a restless night of sleep. I tossed and turned all night unable to get comfortable or relax enough to fall asleep without Enji or Rei there with me. It didn't help that my little ghost projector night light was broken after Toya's last visit and I hadn't had the chance to get it replaced as I'd had Rei or Enji with me every night after and didn't really need it. My dreams were plagued with the electric hell and torture I'd endured while I'd been dead. Nothing but darkness and pain.

The next day, Natsuo and I got everything ready for the party. We made sure all the bedrooms and Enji's study were off limits and blocked them off so no one could get in. Rei called us in the morning to see how we were doing and was excited to hear about Natsuo's date. Enji called once in the afternoon as we were blocking off rooms and wanted to know why I sounded out of breath. It took some convincing to get him off the phone though he promised he'd call back later and appeared to be in a foul mood.