Chapter Thirty

~Mel's POV~

"I feel like I should cancel my appearance at this stupid conference." Enji frowned as he realized Rei and Fuyumi were also leaving for the weekend for a mother daughter weekend at a fancy spa. He had some hero conference to go to. Shoto was staying the weekend on campus so he could study for some upcoming test. Natsuo and I were on our own.

"What? Why?" I returned his frown with one of my own as Natsuo and I stood on the porch to see them all off.

"It seems like a bad idea to leave you two alone for the weekend." Enji folded his arms across his chest.

"Hey!" Natsuo and I shouted simultaneously, taking offense to this.

"You're the number one hero now, your presence is mandatory." I huffed.

Rei and Fuyumi were giggling as the driver loaded their bags into the awaiting car to take them to their fancy spa destination. "I think it'll be good for Natsuo to spend some quality time with his Aunt Mel." Rei noted with a smile causing Enji to frown more. Her input wasn't helping.

"See. Rei trusts me." I mirrored Enji's disgruntled pose, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

"Although, Mel, if you could avoid catching the house on fire this time." Rei smiled.

"It happened one time!" I protested.

"Don't worry mom, I'll keep an eye on Aunt Mel." Natsuo grinned and gave me a patronizing pat on the head.

"Hey you little shit! I'm the adult!" I snapped at him and swatted his hand away from me.

Enji groaned and rubbed his temples in frustration. "That's it, I'm not going."

I threw him a scowl, "you ARE going! And that's final!" I stomped my foot.

Enji glared at me, "Meliara."

"I will embarrass you in front of the children, don't push me." I hissed.

He gave up with a sigh, "fine, I'll check in regularly, you had better answer your phone when I call."

"I'm not answering it if I'm in the shower or taking a shit, that's just weird." I retorted and turned my back on him haughtily.

I could practically hear his eye roll and knew he was having a hard time keeping his anger in check. "You are the most infuriating woman." He groaned as his driver pulled the car around to take him to his hero conference.

Rei looked between us, her two grouchy significant others, with a shake of her head, "you two shouldn't part ways on a bad note." She scolded us.

"It's his fault for being a sourpuss." I turned back around and childishly stuck my tongue out at Enji.

Rei shook her head and stepped toward me, she wrapped me in a warm hug, "quit your mischief, you'll just be upset later if you two, part ways angry." She kissed me sweetly on the lips, "be safe and have a fun weekend with Natsuo." She gave me one more quick peck before going to give Natsuo a hug goodbye.

Fuyumi rushed forward to give me a hug, "see you Sunday Aunt Mel."

"Bye, have fun." I smiled as I hugged her back.

Rei gave Enji a quick hug before getting into the awaiting car. Fuyumi gave her father a hug and followed suit. Their car drove off and Natsuo retreated into the house not wishing to say goodbye to his father, leaving me alone with Enji.