Chapter Thirty Four

~Mel's POV~

The whole family, minus Toya, sat at the table for dinner. Rei and Fuyumi had prepared a feast for everyone. We all sat down to eat the delicious meal that they'd prepared. It smelled heavenly. Natsuo was still a little stiff around his father but was able to make it through dinner small talk with him. Rei asked the kids about their days. Shoto was fairly quiet and didn't mention any of our shenanigans, for which I was grateful.

"What did you do today, Mel?" Rei asked curiously after we'd heard about each of the kids' days.

"I got a job." I said with a smirk and looked over at Enji as he choked on his bite of food.

"What?! Why?!" He roared, enraged. "You don't need to work."

"Sorry, sheltered housewife does not work for me." I glowered at him.

"You don't have to be a sheltered housewife." He said through gritted teeth, "come back to the agency once you're recovered."

"And what would you have me do at the agency?" I asked him curiously.

"Help train the sidekicks, dispatches, clerical wo-." He began but cut off as I shot him an icy glare.

Natsuo sat up a little straighter in his seat and looked between the two of us as if he was watching an intense tennis match, his eyes were bright as he looked back and forth between us. He was excited by the prospect of his father getting ripped a new one.

"You want me to be a fucking secretary?!" I glared.

Rei sighed, "Mel, must we swear at the dining table?"

"Depending on how dickwad answers my question, fuck yes!" I snapped causing Natsuo to choke on a laugh.

Fuyumi feigned wiping her mouth with her napkin to hide her own laugh at my outburst. Rei was struggling to keep a straight face but having trouble. Shoto continued eating as if nothing was amiss.

Enji scowled at me, "no, I don't want you to be a secretary."

"And how is training sidekicks, dispatches and clerical work NOT a secretary?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

Natsuo looked to his father with a grin, waiting for his response. Everyone turned to Enji waiting for his reply. Shoto looked up from his plate, realized everyone was looking at his father and also glanced in Enji's direction.

Enji cleared his throat, "i-its different."

"How so?" I asked him coolly.

"Mel." Rei spoke up softly, "enough." I looked to her curiously and she offered me a somewhat somber smile, "he's worried about you...and he's not the only one...I also don't really want you back in the field, in harm's way...we can't lose you again."

The kids all looked to me. Natsuo and Fuyumi gave me sad puppy dog eyes. Even Shoto looked a bit pitiful. I groaned and shoved my plate away from me, "ugh, you've all successfully ruined my appetite with your guilt trip."

Shoto seemed to just remember something and looked to his mother then to me, "are you going to tell them about the shooting?"

"What shooting?!" Enji and Rei shouted as I groaned inwardly.

"Ya know, brat, I wasn't planning on saying anything." I sighed and rubbed my temples in frustration. "It's not a big deal, don't get your panties in a bunch, I handled it and nobody got hurt." I growled to my significant others as I got to my feet.