Failsafe

(A./N.: Fair warning to everyone. I nearly cried while writing these next few chapters. Don't say I didn't warn you. I hope you enjoy, though.)

(3rd POV:)

A giant spaceship has been spotted within the borders of Earth's atmosphere. Two Green Lanterns fly up to interrupt it's course flight, a ship flying up behind them. "Deploying camera sensor units." Batman states, releasing two cameras from the ship as he stands by. The two Green Lanterns fly up close to one of the big red circles of the unknown spaceship, calling out. "Attention! You have entered the boundaries of Earth space. Disengage all weapons and engines. This is your final warning."

The only answer is the circle in front of them lighting up and shooting a beam at them. They pull up force shields, but that proves useless, and they disintegrate. "Code red. Full offensive deploy." Batman orders. Then, the ship's doors open, and out comes Superman, Martian Manhunter, Captain Marvel, and Captain Adam.

The spaceship fires it's beam again, splitting in two and hitting all four heroes, Batman flying his ship out of the way. He ejects from the ship as the disintegration beam hits it, and it explodes on contact. A drone ship then comes in front of Batman, hits him with a beam, and Batman is no more.

(Emma's POV:)

It's silent as the team and Red Tornado finish watching the live stream of what just happened. Not one of us says a word. An incoming transmission appears just as the video disappears, and the image of Zatara comes up.

"Tornado, did you-" "Yes, Zatara, we saw." Tornado cuts him off, "Celestial defenses have failed. Initiate all terrestrial measures." "Affirmative. See you in the field." He says, disappearing. Tornado turns to us. "I must join the league. We will protect the planet at all costs. But should we fail, the responsibility falls to you."

Kaldur looks at everyone before answering. "We stand ready." Tornado nods, and turns to leave, and we all stay to keep an eye on the news. A live video comes up, and it's chaos. That's all you can see.

"This is Iris West-Allen reporting live. The extraterrestrials have brought their relentless global attack to Central City." The newswoman reports. There's an explosion on one of the buildings behind her, and a group of people running disappear when a beam hits them. Before it can hit the reporter, The Flash grabs her, and Zatara grabs the man holding the camera, and bring them up to the roof of a building.

"You should both be safe here. At least for now." Zatara states. "Thank you... Flash and Zatara." She says, before they both leave again. "Denny, you okay?" She asks the guy holding the camera. A thumb sticks out in front of the camera. She begins again. "As you can see, The Justice League is attempting to hold the line."

As both heroes reach a different roof, where a bunch of people are trapped, a drone ship flies by and shoots a beam, and both the Flash and Zatara are now gone. "No." The woman whispers, before another ship blasts them as well.

"Iris! Iris, get out of there!" The anchorwoman yells out, but it's too late. She sits back down, trying to stay calm. "I'm sorry, we're experiencing technical difficulties from our Central City feed. We take you now to a devastated Taipei, where another league contingent is having a bit more luck."

The woman barely finishes her sentence before both of the Hawks are dissipated. The camera then shows Green Arrow and Black Canary being zapped as well. "Ladies and gentlemen, we've lost Black Canary, Green Arrow, and the Hawks. Other heroes reported dead or missing include Batman, Icon, Adam, and Aquaman."

The screen changes so that we see Smallville. Wonder Woman is zapped, and Tornado's voice fills the room. 'Red Tornado to cave. I fear I am all that remains of the league.' "R.T." Robin calls through the comm. It's too late. Red Tornado is gone.

"We are earth's heroes now." Aqualad states. "So what are we waiting for, a theme song?" Superboy asks. "A strategy." He answers, "Earth's weapons are ineffective. And it has been made tragically clear a direct attack will not succeed." "Checking satellite imagery." Robin comments, bringing up a map of the earth, filled with red where the hostile invaders are located. "Here's where the aliens are now."

"This one get lost?" Conner points out to one up near the north pole. Robin brings the map down so we can get a closer look. "That's Superman's fortress of solitude." Robin states. "Superman has a fortress of solitude?" Conner asks. "It's power source must have attracted the aliens attention. At least enough to send a scout ship to investigate."

"Must be some fortress." Superboy mutters. "Conner." M'gann says, placing a hand on his shoulder. "No, it's okay. I guess there's a lot about Superman I'll never know. Uh, you know, now." I walk over to him. "Hey, don't worry about it. If it makes you feel any better, I fought against him once in it and ended up destroying part of it. He hasn't let me come near it since. He was still mad at me. It's only about as big as the cave anyway." He gives me a small smile, and I know that I've made him feel better.

"We will target this lone ship." Kaldur tells us. "Yeah, break it down, build more, hit those ugly aliens with their own mojo, ow!" He ends up yelling out as Artemis elbows him in the side. "Martian and Kryptonian in the house." She tells him. I give him a dirty look. "Uh, heh. Not that all aliens are automatically ugly." He tries to fix it. I roll my eyes.