Chapter Fourteen: How To Run From The Mess You Made

Note: italics means Five flashbacks.

☂︎︎

"Do you ever take your earphones off?" Luther asks, pointing at the white wire hanging from her ear "Sometimes, yeah" she responds, not even glancing at him.

Silence falls between the two with Five's light breathing as background noise. Her eyes are dropping with sleep, the music lulling her to do so; Luther notices, he clears his throat and she looks up at him, trying to focus.

"You can sleep if you want " he suggests, she ponders for a little fighting against her heavy eyes "Do you promise to wake me if he wakes up?" her voice is soft and tired.

"I promise" she looks at Luther through hooded eyes and then turns her head to the empty space beside Five. She crawls carefully beside him trying not to wake him or disturb him, she lays down and feels Five's back against hers the feeling strangely familiar but she's too tired to care. Once she's finally settled she places her hand underneath her head and closes her eyes, falling asleep almost immediately.

Luther sits awkwardly in the chair. He looks at the two sleeping teens on the bed. He sighs and closes his eyes, looking up towards the ceiling. He is in for a long night. He hopes nothing bad happened with Diego.

Five starts regaining his senses slowly, feeling the soft mattress beneath him he slowly opens his eyes, looking around trying to know where the hell he was or with whom.

He hears light breathing behind him, and there's a back pressed against his side, the feeling of physical contact like that makes him feel slightly troubled and uncertain, he looks behind him to realize Y/N is sleeping soundly. He looks forward and locks eyes with Luther, which is silently waiting for Five's next move. Five furrows his brow and sits as carefully as he can muster so he doesn't wake the sleeping girl beside him. His careful movements do not go unnoticed by Luther and he takes a metal note about it.

"About damn time" Luther finally says, Five rolls his eyes and shushes him, signaling to Y/N "We've been looking for you, we have some questions" Luther stands "Where are you going?" Five asks looking at his brother.

"I promised to wake her" Luther explains but Five glares at him, Luther stops "Don't" his tone is stern.

"But I-" Five's glare intensifies and Luther sits back down with a defeated huff "If she gets mad, I'm blaming you, don't want her on a bad mood towards me"

Five rolls his eyes "I'll tell you everything now, seeing as everything got slightly out of hand" he says sarcastically, Luther leans, waiting for Five to continue.

Five starts though it's painful to remember he must do it.

Ashes fall into his clothes while he walks, his cart rattling behind him. He pulls his scarf down and looks ahead, passing through burnt cars and destroyed buildings. He takes a sip of his water and looks up at the grey sky.

Five had lost count of the amount of days that have passed. If his scraggly beard was anything to go by, it had to have been a few years since that fatal jump. Never mind that, probably a decade. He had no indication of time, only his own body and the darkest nights he's ever seen. Deafening silence followed him everywhere, his thoughts being the only consolation which wasn't much like that because mostly they were full of regret and frustration, the batteries of the Walkman have been dead long enough for him to feel he's losing his mind, not being able to listen to her voice... The sun was scorching more often than not and snowstorms more violent than before. Months pass like a blur, time flowing like a never ending river as he continues his fight to survive, determined to go back to his family.