Chapter Eleven: Hunting

I had to rewrite the whole fic to change it to third person because I felt it flowed better that way. Listen to Don't Stop me Now by Queen and also to Never Tear Us Apart by Paloma Faith. Enjoy!

☂︎︎

Vanya comes back with two cups of coffee. Five takes his and takes a sip, he sighs "I survived on scraps" he explains "Canned food, cockroaches, anything I could find" he chuckles, but Vanya is a little disgusted by this "I can't even imagine" 

"You do whatever it takes to survive, or you do die. So we adapted, whatever the world threw at us, we found a way to overcome it"

"We?" Vanya tries to guess who could've been there with Five, maybe it was you. Five would never admit it out loud, but he missed Y/N a lot and remembering his time alone made him feel really bad, he even feels guilty about Delores, even if nothing happened between them. Until now, he's never felt what he felt every time he was around her. That's what he's going to say to you if he ever finds you again.

The thought of not seeing you again hunts him.

"You got anything stronger?" Vanya and him walk to the kitchen, Vanya passes him his drink. Five stares at her for a moment, "You think I'm crazy" he says.

Maybe she does, but she still panics, she finally feels like she belongs again she doesn't want to lose this "No" she stammers "It's just... it's a lot to take in"

"Exactly what don't you understand?" he decides it's better to just let her ask whatever.

"Why exactly didn't you just time travel back?"

Five scoffs and sighs, trying to have patience with his sister even though the answer was more than obvious "Wish I'd thought of that. Time travel is a crapshoot, you think I didn't try everything to get back to my family? To my girlf- Y/N?" he clears his throat at the end, trying to cover up his mistake. Vanya stares at him, she seems sad and there's pity in her eyes.

"If you grew old there, you know, in the apocalypse, how come you still look like a kid?" she changes the topic, Five scoffs once again and Vanya feels slightly embarrassed and dumb "I told you already" Vanya seems lost in the topic and Five sighs "I must have got the equations wrong"

I mean, Dad always used to say that..." he pours herself another drink while Vanya speaks "...time travel could mess up your mind. Well, maybe that's what's happening?"

Five sets his glass down and turns around "This was a mistake. You're too young... too naïve to understand" he walks towards the door.

"-No. Five... Five, wait" Fortunately for her, he stops just in front of the door, he turns to look at her "I haven't seen you in a long time, and I don't want to lose you again. That's all" Five pauses and looks down "And you know what, it's getting late, and... I have lessons early, and I need to sleep, and I'm sure you do, too" she walks towards the sofa and pulls out some blankets, Five follows her with his gaze, placing his hands inside his pockets as Vanya makes him a bed "Here. We'll talk in the morning again. Okay? I promise" she starts walking away "Vanya wait" she stops.

"Do you know what happened to Y/N?"

"As soon as you left, dad prohibited us from any type of interaction with her or her family" Five looks pensive "Nigh" Vanya walks out.

"Night"

He watches the door close behind her and sits down, he takes out a small piece of cloth and takes out the prosthetic eyeball, he sighs and reads the letters behind him. He sure has a lot on his plate. That's why he decides it's better to continue this puzzle and leave Vanya's apartment.