Chapter 52

The evening was getting really cold, Asher made sure Jonathan was warm enough while he slept on the bench with his coat over him for warmth. Five hours, it had been five hours since they left the mansion but Asher wasn't sure if it was okay to go back yet. He stood straight after making sure Jonathan was tucked in right before he turned to the table and filled a glass with water, he walked to the bench across where Laura sat, her gaze lost in the sky as she looked at the stars quietly like she had been the entire evening after watching the sun set. Laura let out a weak exhale.

"Mum?"

She turned to Asher immediately, replacing the frown on her face with a warm smile when she noticed how he stretched the glass of water to her, she needed it. She slowly took it from him and had a long sip and when she was done, she exhaled in relief. Asher pulled off his jacket immediately and wrapped it around her.

"Are you sure you don't want to eat anything?" Asher sat right beside her, referring to the fact that she had not touched her food earlier.

"Uh huh?" She nodded as she leaned closer to the table and dropped her glass on it. "I'm fine."

Aiden could read past her lies, he knew she was anything but fine at that point. She lowered her head to her belly and placed her hand on it, Asher watched her as her smile faded a little bit right before she turned to the window again.

"Do you think it's fine to go home now?"

Asher turned to the glass too. How was it that being back to the house was all she talked about? Was all she wanted? Why did she care about that house anyway when all he did was hurt and step on her feelings?

"Why do we have to go back to that house?"

Laura froze, she slowly turned to look at him, her eyes widening in surprise.

"We don't need to go back there, we don't need to go back there ever again, as long as you and Nate are here, I don't care about anything else especially not that house." He turned to the table and reached for his glass of water, he took a quick sip. Laura watched him force himself to swallow it all. She could tell he was trying as hard as he could to avoid looking at her, it was cute and it made her smile a lot.

"Asher, of course we have to go back to the house, that's our home, and your father's back there, our family can't be complete without him or your brothers, we can't just leave them."

"Why do we have to care about them?"
He asked her as he dropped the glass on the table. "Why do we have to care about him when he clearly doesn't care about you or this family."

Laura exhaled.

"I'm sick of it. I'm sick of the way he treats you. I just want to leave with you and Nate, you both are all that matter to me, Paris too of course. I can't stand him anymore."

"Woah," Laura raised her hand to Asher's head, she gave it a soft pat as he turned to look at her, she smiled. "My son's so grown now, he grew up to be a handsome thoughtful young man just like his mother,"

Asher scoffed softly.

"Cut it out Mum," Asher exhaled "how can you still smile after everything? After everything he has done, after everything he does? Is it that funny?"

"Okay," Laura told him. "I'd let you take me and Jonathan with you whenever you want and to wherever you want, as long as the air is nice and the people are friendly. We'd go where you want, when you want okay?"

Asher stared at her for a second, he could already tell she didn't mean a word she just said. She was never going to leave, she was never going to leave him no matter what.