Chapter Twenty-Eight: Ever-present Memory

Hey again! Just letting you know I have just started college at a film school and its a super intense course so I'm being kept very busy! No days off in the week for me haha but I will definitely post up at least once a week, thanks for reading and enjoy! :) :)

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Ever-present Memory

Monday afternoon...

Hunter glanced at a mirrored wall to his left. He straightened his tie as he looked back at his reflection. He was currently on the fourteenth floor of a tall apartment building, waiting with his father to meet a new client. An elevator door opened behind them, ringing with a familiar 'ding-dong' noise after some people stepped onto the floor.

As the familiar sound mimicked over again in Hunter's mind, a familiar memory raced back to him.

.............................................................

'Hunter took a small step back, with his hands in his pockets after pressing the doorbell which rung with a 'ding-dong' sound loudly. He heard footsteps before the door to the house opened abruptly.

Abby eyed him, "You're early."

"Am I?" Hunter glanced down at his watch before looking back up at Abby and rubbing the side of his head with his hand. "Sorry."

"Come in," said Abby moving aside. "Just have a seat in the lounge room and I'll be back out in a minute."

"Ah, sure." Hunter walked inside and Abby closed the door. As he made his way the short distance into the lounge area, his eyes glanced back at Abby who was walking back to her room, nothing but a white towel wrapped around her body.

"Mum's out at the moment, so you don't need to worry about making awkward conversation with anyone," called back Abby before she disappeared into her room.

Hunter sat down on one of the humble couches in Abby's living room. He clasped his hands in front of him. He stared around at his surroundings. The room wasn't large, the house itself wasn't. The walls were cream and brown wood lined the floors. Some photo frames of Abby as a kid sat on antique looking cabinets among pot plants. Although the place was unmodern compared to Hunters place, it still had a homely feel to it.

As Hunter leaned back into the couch, he realised this was the first time he'd been to the house of a girl he was with. Usually, he would just hook up with a girl at a party or go out with them to a concert - or at most they would have gone over to his house while his father was out. But no, never had he been to one of their homes. Perhaps it was because he didn't have the desire to be invited that far in to someone else's life. He didn't want to be. He didn't want any sense of attachment. Because with attachment comes delving deeper into your emotions, into opening boxes you've kept hidden away from everyone else for a reason, into forming a connection so strong it becomes a part of your very own life. And that was something Hunter never lusted for.

"Okay, you coming?"

At the sound of Abby's voice, Hunter quickly leapt off the couch and went over to her. When he reached her, he looked her up and down before Abby nudged him.

"You're such a seed."

Hunter laughed, "What? Can't I just look at you for a minute?" His eyes quickly found hers. "You look really, beautiful today Abby," he said genuinely.

Abby didn't blush but simply stared back at him. "I know," she replied cheerily then winked at him. "Now come on, let's go." Abby grabbed her beach hat and walked out of the house in her beachy, wedge heels.