Chapter Twenty-Nine: You're different.

Dedication to CelesteKevin450 because rants are cool. ;)

Chapter Twenty-Nine: You're different.

I clamped my modern history book shut and rubbed my eyes as I stretched my legs out across my bed, yawning. Hunter hadn't answered his phone after school this afternoon, so I assumed he was still caught up with work experience.

A few hours later, after dinner and some much-needed catch up study time, I decided to try calling him again. I got out my phone and scrolled to his name, pressing it. Holding my phone to my ear, I heard the familiar 'ring - ring' sound and I waited until Hunter picked up. He didn't. I frowned, lowering my phone down and resting it on my lap for a moment. A hundred reasons and possibilities ran through my mind as to why he hadn't picked up. It was getting towards nine at night so surely he would be finished at work experience. Unless he was out somewhere... I remembered Abby mention a party being held tonight by a girl she used to know at her old school. Perhaps Hunter was there. I decided to call Abby in hope of gaining some information as to Hunter's whereabouts or apparent 'disappearance from society'. Even though Abby had said she probably wouldn't attend the party because 'who on earth hosts a party on a Monday night?', she picked up after a few rings.

"Naomi, hey! What's up?"

I could hear loud music echoing in the background. "I'm assuming you decided to go to the party?" I asked.

"Yeah," she replied. "Dylan was going so he just picked me up on the way. I'm so bored though, I'll probs leave in a minute. This loud music really isn't good for my head right now, I think they're just using it to replace the conversations that would be happening if there was more of a turnout."

"Sounds great," I said sarcastically. "Anyway, not that you would be keeping track but I was just wondering if Hunter was there at all? He hasn't been answering his phone."

"I don't know, let me ask Dylan."

Abby left the phone momentarily and my eyes wandered around my room until I heard her voice on the other end of the line again.

"No," she said. "Dylan said Hunter's at home. Apparently he said he didn't want to come out tonight."

"Oh. Okay. Well I'd better get going Abby, see you tomorrow."

"See you."

I hung up and placed my phone down on the top of my bedside table. If Hunter was at home then he was perfectly capable of answering his phone, wasn't he? Urgh, I probably seemed like an over-obsessed, control-freak of a girlfriend who had to know where her boyfriend was at all times of the day right now. Except Hunter and I weren't even going out so I must seem even crazier than that - psychotic. I breathed out and fell back into the comfort of my bed. I just couldn't stop thinking about the weekend and La Elegancia and Hunter and that kiss. I'm sure he had a reason for not answering my calls. I decided to just leave everything untill tomorrow when I could see Hunter face to face instead. Everything would be fine, I was sure of it.

"Do you think oranges are called 'oranges' because they're orange, or do you think the colour was named after the fruit?"

I frowned slightly in amusement as Abby and I tied our hair up, getting ready for cheer practice. "I don't know, I've never really thought about it to be honest."

"I was so bored last night my eyes were literally fixated on a bowl of oranges in the kitchen," replied Abby staring into the distance, thinking back.

I smiled, "It sounds terrible. Where was Dylan in all of this?"

"He got dragged into this massive conversation by his drunk friend from Trinity High about how postmen are actually 'secret government agents in disguise planted in our neighbourhoods to watch over us'."