Chapter Thirty-Nine: 'irresistible to la femme'

"Okay now I appreciate the fact that I saved up my money these past few months," I said placing various shopping bags down and sitting opposite Abby at a little café in the middle of the shopping centre we were in.

"I know right," agreed Abby stretching out her arms above her before resting them on the table. "I think I have enough new clothes to last me for the rest of the year."

I smirked in amusement before picking up the café menu and having a look.

"Shopping makes me hungry," commented Abby picking up another menu and following my lead.

"I think I need an iced coffee – with extra ice-cream."

"Yum. I think I'll need the large BLT with the lot," smirked Abby as a waitress came over to take our orders.

We both ordered and began waiting patiently for our food.

"So, got any other plans for the holidays?" I asked Abby.

She leaned her chin on her fist gently, thinking. "Uhm I think my mum was planning a trip to my grandmother's beach house..."

I opened my mouth to speak before Abby cut me off.

"But it's not as exciting as it seems and no we can't all hang out there and party, unfortunately," she continued. "It's more of a shack than a house, really. And it's been in the family for a long time so my grandmother's very protective of it." Abby imitated her grandmother's voice, "'No parties or bonfires Abby – you will not disrupt my peaceful home'."

I laughed before muttering a soft 'thank you' to the waitress giving us our drinks.

"Anyway, what about you?" asked Abby, "Any... Plans?" Abby raised her eyebrows suggestively and I tried to ignore the progressive blush rising in my cheeks.

"Um... I don't know. I think my Aunt Cat wanted to come over for dinner one night..."

"I meant with Hunter."

"Oh, yeah. Uhm, maybe."

"I'm sure he'll plan something," said Abby letting the steam from her warm mocha rise over her face gently. "He always did when we were together."

I placed my drink down on the table. "You know I never asked you how you feel about all this."

Abby directed her gaze from her drink to me, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, this isn't weird for you is it? Me and Hunter?"

She smiled gently. "What happened with me and Hunter was great while it lasted but it's over now. If I truly still loved him then I wouldn't have ended it. Being with him... Taught me more about myself than I could have ever imagined. He managed to break down all the walls I forced myself to hold up. But that doesn't make me wish I was still with him, it just makes me want to take all the lessons I learned to my next relationship. And you know I think I can say the same about him. I'm sure he's learned all his own lessons and that's why I believe he truly is serious about you. So, don't be afraid to go for it, okay?"

"Okay," I beamed. It felt good to hear that from Abby. I guess it was only now that I realised one of the main reasons I was so held back from Hunter was because I'd felt guilty – him being Abby's ex and all. But she'd kindly given me her blessing so, why hold back now, right?

Abby dropped me off at my house that afternoon. I walked upstairs and put down my many shopping bags before flopping down onto my bed, running a hand through my hair softly. Hunter came to mind again causing a smile to appear on my face. I sat up and decided to go downstairs and get myself a glass of water, feeling thirsty. I reached the kitchen to find my mother cooking some kind of a cake.