Chapter Thirty: Not so 'love' sick

Dedication to Laurajud for all the votes and positive feedback~ :) THANKYOU for helping me reach 3000reads I am overjoyed! :) :)

Chapter Thirty: Not so 'love' sick

I coughed ferociously as my mum forced me back into bed.

"I'm fine mum," I replied before bursting into another coughing fit.

"You're not fine Naomi," she said, the motherly instinct in her coming out more than ever right now. She held the back of her hand to my forehead as I sat on the edge of my bed. "Your temperature's higher than ever!" she exclaimed.

"I'm sure it's not that bad," I said feeling my forehead. She was right. My head felt like it had been set on fire.

"I'm taking you to the doctor's as soon as I can."

"No," I groaned. "Mum I'm sure it's just a passing cold or something. It'll be gone before I know it." I could think of a hundred different excuses not to go to the doctors. I hated the doctors. And hate is a strong word. Our family didn't have one of those expensive, private doctors like some people had. We went to the public doctors - you know where you have to wait about two hours in the waiting room before you actually get seen because it's always so busy? Yeah those ones. I had the strong belief that all the time you spend in the waiting room with all the other already sniffling, coughing, unwell people waited - made you sick. Yes going to the doctors had the possibility of making you sick. And I wasn't exactly in the mood to be getting more sick than I already was.

"Do you have any idea about where you may have picked this up?" asked my mother, as if she were a detective scratching for clues.

"No, there isn't anyone at school who was sick as far as I know."

"It was the bus then, I bet it was," accused my mother. "You never know the sort of people that ride those public buses - I told your father not to make you catch the bus but he didn't listen."

As my mother went on about how 'unclean' and 'awful' public buses are, I rested back onto my pillow.

"Mum it's not like I exactly have a choice. I don't have my licence yet because I don't have my hours - which I'm just too busy to get with the drama of school right now. You work in the opposite direction and dad works late. I'd rather catch the bus then wait until six every night for dad to pick me up from school." I sneezed.

My mother offered me a tissue box from my desk and I gratefully took a tissue.

"Have a shower and see how you feel okay?" said my mother. "Then get dressed and meet me downstairs, I'll take you to the doctors."

I opened my mouth to tell my mother we strictly did not need to go to the doctors before my cough beat me to it. My mother exited my room and I stood up, grabbing my towel and headed to the bathroom.

I let the warm, shower water fall over my skin for a while but nothing seemed to be helping me feel better at all. Since I would be forbidden to go to school today by my mother, I got changed into some light blue denim shorts with a white singlet and a loose, deep-red, chiffon shirt over the top. As I began to go over to my closet to get out some white flats, my phone rang.

I coughed, "Hey Abby."

"You sound terrible."

"Thanks," I smiled fakely into the phone.

"Are you okay? I'm guessing that's why you're not at school today, you're sick?"

"Yeah I'm sick so no, I'm not really 'okay'. I feel like crap - my head hurts, my nose is sore, I can't smell a thing and I cough about every three minutes."