Chapter Forty-Three: On the same wavelength

The final day of retreat was already upon us and I didn't really want to leave. I mean getting away from having to live with Kelsie and Anita I could definitely do, but it was really nice to be at this beautiful location and spend time with my friend Abby, and my boyfriend (yes I could finally say that now) Hunter.

Abby walked past me to the bus with her suitcase. "Bus is the other way," she joked as I walked in the opposite direction.

"I'll meet you there," I said. "Just forgot to grab my phone."

"Okay, see you up there."

I walked back up the path to our cabin and found the door. 'Cabin 4'. I walked into the now empty cabin, the wooden walls and roof painted a light, baby blue, and went over to my bed, picking up my phone.

I turned around to find Kelsie in the cabin doorway. She merely looked at me and laughed to herself before going over to her bed to pick up a small bag.

I shook my head to myself, not wishing to communicate with her any longer and began walking out before she spoke.

"Hunter's playing you and you haven't even realised yet."

I stopped walking, feeling anger beginning to rise within me. "You really need to get over your obsession with him already," I said turning to her. "You may have been hanging out with Hunter for longer than I have, but he's opened up more to me than any of you arseholes because he likes me, not you. Get over it."

Kelsie stared back at me, or rather glared but attempted not to show it. "That's what you think," she said calmly. "But you know nothing about me and Hunter's relationship. And you never will, because he's never going to tell you. He doesn't want you to find out about us."

I stared back at her, wondering what the heck she was talking about. Her and Hunter's 'relationship'?

She took a step towards me, "Because all it's gonna do is break, your, little, heart."

I could feel my heart racing a little and I didn't know what to say. I forced myself to turn around. I left the cabin.

I sat in the cafeteria with Abby the following Monday. Hunter was at work experience. Retreat ended on Sunday. And for some reason Kelsie's stupid words kept coming back to me. Like a plague. Eating away at my mind. I couldn't get rid of it no matter how hard I tried.

"So, tell me your birthday plans," said Abby, placing her phone down and resting her arms on the table.

Oh, right. Did I mention it was my birthday this coming Sunday? The big eighteen.

"I don't know," I began. "I mean, I probably should have planned something in advance but to be completely honest, my birthday hasn't been the only thing on my mind these past months."

"Well, you're legal," smiled Abby. "You have to do something."

"I know most people would party or whatever," I said. "But I actually wouldn't mind just spending the day with people I really care about. Like you guys, or my family."

Abby thought for a moment. "Well... Why don't you keep the actual day to spend with family and if you still wanted to party we can go out the weekend after."

"Sounds like a plan," I smiled.

"But," continued Abby. "I want to take you out for dinner some time. Maybe, Saturday night?"

I looked at her, "Sure. What's all this about?" I laughed.

"Naomi, you're one of if not the best friend I've ever had," she said genuinely as I listened to her. "Honestly, when my mum said we were gonna pack up and move to Jadeland, I was dreading it. I mean, not only would I have to see my ex again but I'd have to meet another whole group of... bitchy, fake people who wanted to be my friend because I was 'pretty' and I was 'popular' at my old school." She looked up at me. "But then," she smirked. "I ran into you and as soon as you called Hunter an arsehole, well, I guess it was love at first sight," she joked, winking.