Chapter Seventeen: Don't judge a 'player' by his status

Dedication to my Queensland buddy RossHealy21 - GO QUEENSLAND :)

Chapter Seventeen: Don't judge a 'player' by his status

A tear escaped my eyes as I turned to look in the direction of Owen’s eyes, still lying frightened on the bed. I sat up.

“I told you to keep away from her,” said Hunter threateningly to Owen.

Owen wiped his mouth on his arm sleeve. He smirked at Hunter as he stood up, “Why? Jealous a girl actually picked me over you for once?”

“Now that she knows what you’re really like, I don’t think she’s going to want to see you anymore,” replied Hunter.

Owen walked closer to Hunter, “Look why don’t you just leave us alone now?”

I took my chance and stood up, “No – I want to go.”

“She said she wants to go, Owen. So let her go,” said Hunter taking a step towards Owen.

“She doesn’t know what she’s talking about,” commented Owen.

Hunter’s eyes stayed on Owen’s, “Come on Naomi, let’s go.”

I swallowed and walked forward, fixing up my dress. Owen held his arm in front of me. He wouldn’t allow me to leave.

“She’s not going anywhere,” said Owen, his voice growing angrier.

“Yeah?” asked Hunter walking even closer towards Owen. “Well I’m not leaving till you let her go.”

Owen angrily pushed Hunter back causing Hunter to do the same. Within a second they were on the ground throwing punches at each other. I didn’t know what to do. Hunter pressed his arm against Owen’s throat before Owen finally surrendered.

“Okay, okay – just stop!” pleaded Owen.

Hunter gave Owen one final glare before freeing Owen and standing up.

Owen got up after him cowering over and massaging his sore neck.

I stared at Hunter and then at Owen, my eyes wide in fear.

Hunter walked over to me, placing a comforting hand on my back, “Come on, let’s get out of here.”

I turned to walk out with Hunter only to glance back and see Owen coming angrily towards us. I fell back against the door scared, “Hunter!”

Hunter turned around just in time to take a hit at Owen. He punched him on the jaw and Owen fell to the ground unconscious.

Still frightened, I latched onto Hunter’s arm, my heart pounding out of my chest. I could feel Hunter’s heart pounding slightly too as I stared down at Owen. “…Will he be okay - ”

“He’ll be fine,” replied Hunter staring at Owen for a moment. Hunter slowly turned and looked down at my hands which failed to leave Hunter’s arm. He then looked at me.

I stared into his eyes.

Hunter sighed as he wiped a tear from my cheek, then he embraced me in a hug comfortingly, wrapping his arms gently around me. “I’ll take you home.”

I nodded into Hunter’s chest before Hunter took my hand gently and led me out of the house protectively.   

When we got to Hunter’s car, Hunter opened my door for me and made sure I was safely in before shutting the door and getting into the driver’s seat. Hunter carefully drove down the street as I rested my head against the passenger seat, facing Hunter. In that moment, I was so grateful for what Hunter had done for me. He had saved me from a situation that probably would have haunted me forever. And it was in that moment, that I realised Hunter had never actually physically hurt me at all, he hadn’t ever taken advantage of me, even though at some times he probably could have. I lay against the leather, passenger seat of Hunter’s car sleepily. I felt dizzy and tired. I gently closed my eyes.