Chapter Nine: Two can play at that game

-- dedicated to my fellow Vampire Diaries supporter :) --

Chapter Nine: Two can play at that game

I ignored all the stares coming from the guys in the direction I was headed as I walked confidently, with my head held high towards the drink fountain. In the corner of my eye I saw some of the guys stopping training and glancing in my direction. Hunter heard some of the others talking and looking towards me so he held the basketball in his hands still and turning around to watch me too.

After hearing a few whispers of 'Isn't that the chick that hangs out with Abby?' and 'She was at Dylan's party', I reached the drink fountain. I bent my head down (much more gracefully then the previous girl) and let the cool water fall into my mouth, then I stood up and turned in the direction of the guys on the court. I reached up and pulled out my hair tie then shook my high ponytail out slowly, from side to side, letting my hair cascade down my back and around my shoulders captivatingly. I heard a wolf whistle as I began walking back over to the cheer squad again, past the basetball team. As I approached them, one of Hunter's friends called out to me.

"Hey Naomi," smirked Eric.

I stopped walking and looked at Eric, ignoring Hunter who was standing beside him. "Hey," I smiled at Eric alluringly then I turned around, glancing at Hunter as I turned. Hunter wasn't smirking but rather looked like he was holding back from something, he even looked slightly... hurt. But I couldn't care less as I walked back to Abby. Why should I feel bad for Hunter? He had just done the exact same thing to me a few minutes ago and I was willing to prove to him that I didn't need him to feel good about myself. That I, Naomi Power was in control this time and didn't need someone like Hunter Ryan to tell me whether I was 'pretty' or not. And boy did it feel good to be the confident, care-free Naomi I was before Hunter all over again. I was back.

"You're cruel," smirked Abby after I sat down beside her.

"Maybe," I said turning to her.

"So are you going through with this then?" she asked curiously. "Because that was seriously impressive."

I smirked to myself before replying, "I'm not going to go out of my way to tease him but... I'm not going to let him think everything can go his way."

"Well it's certainly working," said Abby laying back on her elbows.

I turned towards the direction of Abby's eyes. Hunter passed a basketball to another member of his team before placing his hands on his hips and wiping his forehead with the back of his arm. Our eyes met and I simply smirked at him again before looking away.

"Okay girls let's go through the routine again!" called out Katia.

We all stood up and got in line.

Hunter and I didn't have any classes together other than science, so I didn't see him after cheer practise at all. All I know is Hunter didn't say anything to me after practise and a whole lot of his friends said 'hi' to me throughout the day. Not that I cared about all the attention I was slowly gaining - I knew they woudn't even care who I was if I wasn't hanging out with Abby. So there was therefore no way I was going to get all happy with butterflies in my stomach over anything. I was happy with my life before and I still am.

I walked out of school with Abby after the bell went signifying the end of school. Thank gosh.

"Sure you don't want a lift home?" asked Abby.

"No, I'll just catch the bus. Thanks anyway." I plugged my earphones into my phone.

"Alright, see you tomorrow for our science demonstration," said Abby raising her eyebrows.