Chapter 5

As we came closer to the enterance of the stadium (cafeteria by day), it became apparent that there were around 3 figures in front of the doorway. Everyone was already eating lunch, we were only gone for about 10 minutes. Upon even closer inspection, it was 3 people I knew. Vincent, Mega, and Zelkam. Vincent and I usually would eat together out in this hallway because the cafeteria was always too crowded and loud for us- so him waiting for me wasn't really a surprise. Mega and Zelkam usually went off to eat together in a classroom, so why were they waiting with Vincent? Did something happen?

Oh no, definitely not. Once Vincent saw me, there was a huge grin on his face. Chances are, I was missing something super obvious and he was about to mess with me. "Heyyyy Zakky!" Vincent called to me, and my face scrunched up at the nickname. He knew I despised that nickname and made sure to use it infront of people I don't know, specifically groups of people I don't know (for example: when I'm leaving school and he's trying to get my attention through crowds of kids). Mega and Zelkam paused their conversation to stare at me. Well, Mega is mute, and Zelkam was the only one who knew ASL, so it was pretty much just them visciously signing at each other about who-knows-what. Zelkam gave me a smile and meekly waved to me in a matter that clearly showed we didn't talk much. 

I thought Zelkam was a pretty weird guy. He wore a navy blue sweater and bright red santa hat. It definitely clashed with his light brown hair and bright eyes. Mega was just mean. He was more of a.. what do you call it, "tsundere"? He wore a matching navy blue sweater over a dark-green long sleeved shirt, and this ridiculously big lime scarf that covered half of his face. It matched him more, but the two of them definitely looked stupid as hell. Oh, but do you know who looks the dumbest of them all? 

Vincent had eyes so dark that it almost looked black. He wore mostly grey clothes, sometimes black and rarely white, but the worst part of it was that he wore this thick headband around his head. Every. Single. Day. It's a personality trait at this point! It usually fell to cover his eyes, and even though he could see through the fabric, the teachers refused to let him keep it like that. Basically, my best friend looks like an anime weeaboo. Straight from the comics, but not straight at all if you catch my drift.

As for me? I actually look normal. I was 5'8'', brown hair, brown eyes, and loved the colour blue. My hoodies are blue, my room was blue, my avatar in a game Vincent and I played together sometimes was blue. I felt out of place around them, but learned to accept it.

"Yo," I rose a hand to give a half-assed wave, then turned to look at the other two. "What are these two idots doing here?" The 'idot' thing was a joke from when I misspelled idiot when I was texting them in a group chat. I type really fast, so my spelling is more often than not absolute crap. That's always my excuse.

"Nothing much," Vincent waved a dismissive hand to the other two at his side, "we were just waiting so you could introduce us to the new guy." He smirked, staring at my annoyed face.

"We were all there at homeroom--"

"Not me!" Zelkam chimed in, but I just continued.

"-- what is there to introduce?"

"Not him, us!" Vincent countered, rolling his eyes as if it was obvious. 

"Why?!" I shot back, getting defensive about it. Vincent and I were good friends, but arguments quickly got heated between us. We began to question our friendship after that, but figured some friendships have their flaws anyway. We just both have problems.

"Because, if you're adding someone new to the friend group then we should all at least get aquainted!" 

"What do you mean?! All I'm doing is showing him around!" I couldn't help but get flustered at this.

"Pshh, this is the movie cliche! You meet the new kid, show him around, and end up dating!" I was shook. Darryl was shocked too- and as quick as the words came, both of our faces were flushed in bright red.

"WHAT?!" we exclaimed in unison. We were being so loud that some of the kids from the lunch table closest to us turned their heads, but nothing was said. I had almost forgotten that Mega and Zelkam were standing around by us too, before Zelk spoke up.

"Can uh- can me and Mega go now?" He asked meekly, both of them were uncomfortable with being left out and watching.

Vincent sighed, "Hold on! You can go makeout after we're done with introductions." Now, Mega and Zelk's faces were as red and Darryl, but pissing off Mega was probably the worst thing you could do. Next thing you know it, Vincent was doubled over in pain after suffering a direct attack to his stomach. Mega crossed his arms, looking angry under that stupid green mask. Darryl gasped at the sight, and I was stupidly laughing at it. Vincent desperately tried to reclaim the air he was denied, and it took a moment before he could speak again.

"Jesus christ Mega!" Vincent shot the mute a glare, huffing as he slowly regained composure. 

"Language." Darryl muttered, looking nervous.  We all turned to him and it was quiet, aside from Zelkam's snickering (apparently it was funny). Who knew Darryl cared about something like that? We didn't even swear anyway-

Vincent sighed, "Zak, just introduce us so Mega can go away! He's bullying me." He pouted after, standing up straight with his arms still crossed over his stomach.

"Do it yourself!" My arms were now crossed too, embarrassment from earlier resurfacing.

"Ugh! Fine!" Vincent huffed, pointing to himself as he spoke. "I'm Vincent, Zak's only decent friend. I'm from France."

"You make me sound like I have no friends."

"Because you don't have friends, dummy."

"You're right, you guys can't be considered my friends at this point."

"Hey!"

Vincent was then smacked over the head with a whiteboard. Mega's whiteboard. We hadn't even noticed that he was writing on it. It was a good attention-grabber though, because everyone was looking at his whiteboard now and the letters drawn on. 'I'm Mega. I'm mute. Hi.' What a lame introduction. French-guy decided to finish off the introductions, "And that's Zelk, Mega's crush." Mega threw a punch again, but Vincent expected it so he was able to step out of the way before any more damage was dealt. "Zelkam, that's Darryl." He turned to the boy dressed in red and black, "welcome to the group, man." God damn it! 

"Zelk, Mega, you can go now!" Vincent said in a high-pitched tone, shoo-ing them away. Mega threw up his middle finger as both Zelkam and him walked away. I heard Darryl mumble 'Language' at the sight, and snickered at it. Maybe it'll be okay, having a 5-person friend group. Definitely more friends than I've had in the past year.

--------

Word Count: 1217 words